Good Fortune?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Good day eveyone.

Just wanted to share what could be a happy story? My wife and I had a pond put in our backyard
late last summer, early fall, so it hasn't even ran for one year now. Pond get's bombarded by full
sun all day.

Shortly after we started the pond (2-3 Weeks) until the end of the season we got hit by lot's of
Algae, from the emerald green to string algae. Very unsightly. As we ran the pond all winter the
algae remained until I gave it a good cleaning this spring. Still looked awfull after the cleaning.

Went away on vacation last week and came back to a pond that is crystal clear with the algae
all cleaned up. Also found that there were several hundred if not a thousand tad poles in our
pond. They seemed to be clinging or eating something off the rocks. Could they be getting
rid of the algae for us? I don't know a lot about tad poles.

We have never treated the pond with anything so I find myself somewhat bewilldered? Albeit
happy of course.

I have one question to everyone here and that is, are Tadpoles good, bad or simply indifferent
to the health of your pond?

I would also like to open the thread to any comments or suggestions they might have.

Thank you very much for your time.

P.S.

Will be posting updated images of the pond and how all the landscaping is doing around it. If you wish to see
what the pond looked like last year, I did post a full thread with images.

Paul

Reaction score
Went away on vacation last week and came back to a pond that is crystal clear with the algae
all cleaned up. Also found that there were several hundred if not a thousand tad poles in our
pond. They seemed to be clinging or eating something off the rocks. Could they be getting
rid of the algae for us?
I don't know a lot about tad poles.
Could be, sounds just as logical as barley balls or catipillar poop which some people swear by.
Nothing wrong with a few tadpoles in your pond, of course too many of anything could be a problem. Any idea what kind of tadpoles they are? How big are they?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Carpe;
I'm not that far from you, and had a similar experience. I drained and cleaned out the pond in March (during our hot spell), and re-filled it about 3/4 of the way. The water turned a dirty brown/green colour and stayed like that for almost two months. In mid May I dropped in five water hyacinths, and within twelve hours the water started to clear; in two days it was crystal-clear, and has stayed that way. Tadpoles appeared AFTER it cleared up.
I'm not suggesting for one moment that the plants had anything to do with the clearing. After all, five plants in 1,000 gallons of water??? The pond would have cleared on its own without them, but WHY? And as for the tadpoles, they will use your pond for a while and then move on. I get thousands every year with never a problem.
John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthej64

Latest Threads