Gravity fed or pump fed fiter opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I am changing my filter and would like every ones opinion on pump fed or gravity fed filters, I have bought a nexus 310 just need to decide which mechanical filter to use . my opinion is to go pump fed because you can force the water thru a finer sieve/media and gravity back but the other way around if you gravity in and pump out you may pump away faster than the gravity coming in if the filter gets blocked ?
Thanks in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wish I could help, but I have no experience to make a statement as to what would be best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here - but I'll be curious to see what you decide and why! My instinct is the same as yours - the pump will continue to pump even if the media gets clogged, but gravity fed may slow down much sooner... bu that's just a guess.

What's your current set up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same here - but I'll be curious to see what you decide and why! My instinct is the same as yours - the pump will continue to pump even if the media gets clogged, but gravity fed may slow down much sooner... bu that's just a guess.

What's your current set up?
my current set up is pump fed into uv then into a 6 bay vortex filter and gravity back , but my new set up I really want the filter same level as the pond as I would like it out of site

Ask a Question