Great Andy Moo videos

Reaction score
These videos by Andy Moo are about growing large Koi, but are also packed with lots of great insights on filtering and adding city water that any pond owner can use. And Andy explains his reasoning so you can use that reasoning in your pond.

For example, I never added chemicals to remove chlorine from city water. I never had a problem and kind of thought I knew why, because chlorine reacts with the stuff floating in the water column and that uses up the chlorine. But I always felt a bit guilty and never felt sure enough to suggest to others that chlorine removal wasn't needed. What Andy Moo says makes perfect sense to me.

I love the simplicity of his filter advice. Bio is surface area to fish size (amount of food) thing. Simple. Get the crap out of the pond by vacuuming with a sub pump from Home Depot. Simple.

For me these videos gave some good basic advice and solid reasoning. I'm not into Koi, or growing large fish, but the basics are there. I'm probably never going to do 10% water changes everyday, but it's helpful to know why water changes are done. I'm not going to be feeding 14 times a day, but the reasons are still useful. You can fed fish garden snails if you're not using chemicals. Good solid common sense.

Warning...much of the info is 180 degrees different then you will hear in pet stores and online.

Reaction score
Sorry about posting these videos again. I did a search on Andy Moo and nothing came up. I do think the videos have good info for people new to non-koi ponds which is why I posted here and not in the koi section.

I just found this video too where Charles Ruby, an instructor at the NY Botanical Garden, discusses the difference between Koi Ponds and Water Gardens starting at 1:30. It's so important know what kind of pond a person wants. Answers from a Koi pond owner and a Water Garden owner will be very different for the same question. As Charles points out a Koi pond needs filters while a Water Garden doesn't. Of course many ponds fall somewhere in between. But the standard answer of "all ponds require filters" is not accurate imo.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no big deal.. i actually posted them twice...once a couple years ago, forgot , posted again in April...DUH!...thread title is "GROWING BIG KOI"

Ask a Question