Green Frogs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So last year we had a few frogs, think all were green frogs. No tad poles but I did get the pond going during summer. This will be my first year during spring.

So my kids (3 and 5) are super excited we have one frog so far. Think it was the one I dug up when I was trying to fix a leak during winter. Note, never try doing some major additions in fall and rush it... :(

Anyway, my daughter has asked about tadpoles again. What are the odds I'll get some if we get a few more green Frogs? I know it depends if they are female, male, etc. I wanted to try guaranteeing it. What can I do to increase chances?

Or is there any place I can buy a few female/ males and let loose early enough that they'll find love one evening under the full moon? Or even ... Buy a bunch of tadpoles as soon as they hatch and drop them in...? Like you can do with certain fish and plants online.

Just looking for some routes to go. Have to make the pond as neat as possible for the kids!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I found a few places that have some. Fairly pricey for the tadpoles. And no guarantee ... It's a mix of green and bullfrogs. Not trying to get any bullfrogs... Haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Mother nature will provide for you, I have never had a shortage of tadpoles, both frogs and toads. The thing with frog tadpoles is that you seldom see them. They always seem to be hiding in the muck or plant roots. The toads are little black tadpoles and i usually see them for a few days in the shallow water along the rocks on the edge of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will come! I had frogs before the pond had water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just uncovered the pool we have for water lilies and it is teeming with green frog tadpoles that survived the winter in there. Sorry you aren't closer to pick some up.

As others have said, be patient and there will be more green frogs than you can deal with.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Buy a bunch of tadpoles as soon as they hatch and drop them in...?

I wouldn't do this. Live tadpoles are sold, but they can have diseases that you really don't want spreading into the wild populations.
As far as adult frogs... In my early pond days, I may have allegedly tried to bring a few frogs to my pond from a local area that had tons of frogs. Don't do that, for a number of reasons. But they also won't stay. They'll leave by the next day. Even the frog I found in my neighbor's ditch and brought over to my pond had no interest in staying. That evening it was gone. They have to find it on their own.

I usually have a few green frogs and a few bullfrogs that stick around but they never breed, although they do call out during the summer. I don't think my pond is ideal for breeding. Frogs typically prefer very shallow water without fish, and lots of plant life to hide in and around.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs typically prefer very shallow water without fish, and lots of plant life to hide in and around.
Toads are the only ones that drop eggs into the fish filled ponds, the frogs all chose the fishless , plant filled ponds. And they drop a lot of eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could set up a kiddle pool with lots of plants for the frogs to breed in.

Every year we have 2 types of trees frogs that come to the lily pool. It's not very shallow, 30 inches tall, but they deposit eggs in there every year. We always enjoy watching those little guys develop.

Last year is the first year that the green frogs used it. Judging from the tadpoles in there now, they were very successful.

Ask a Question