green water ?

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a few thousand times but I have to ask all the guru's again to make myself sure, so I apologize for asking.
I have been noticing that my pond has slowly began to change. First the water was crystal clear, then over the course of a month or so it went from cloudy to a greenish color. Today a drained about 50 or 60 gallons or so, removed as much river rock from the bottom and from the shelves and put about 50 or 60 gallons of fresh new water in. I also rinsed off the filters that are housed inside my mechanical filter box and put some fluva pads inside the box. The water has began to settle but its still a green color. I'm waiting on my UV bio filter so i'm hoping that will take care of most of this problem.
So for all the guru's out there don't bash me to hard but what did I do wrong and what did I do right if anything and what can I do different the next go around. Thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like you did a fine job stirring whatever sediments where there and and putting a fresh supply of water in to feed algae

You don't mention what is in there that might suppress or encourage algae or what your objective is

Reaction score
My objective is to have the cleanest looking water I can possibly have. The only thing Currently in my pond (400gal) is about 30 or so small goldfish give or take a few and 2 shubunkins. Im trying to pawn off some goldfish on my neighbors to take down the population. I have two red lilly pad looking plants that started to grow about two weeks ago and finaly came to the water's surface. I just bought a pink water lilly that's just starting to sprout. All my fish seem happy at the moment and I will do another water change in about a day or two until my bio filter arrives. I will try and post a few pics

Reaction score
The water is a greenish color......not like a pea soup green but green enough were I can clear it up a whole lot kinda green if that makes any sense. I can see the fish pretty good but wen there at the very bottom of the pond, I can barley see them. I'l post some before and after pics shortly

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would say leave the water alone. The algae may be taking up the load while your bio filter comes up to speed.
As stated earlier the water change and mucking about may help it green further. If you are feeding feed lightly.

Green water is not a aliment Some of the fancy goldfish crowd actively cultivate green water as it is good for the fish. Not pea soup.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use quilt batting to pic up all the fine stuff including algae cells
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]this is the stuff I stirred up rebuilding the waterfall .

Reaction score
I don't have a bio filter yet. I'm waiting on one that has a UV light. The filter I have in the pond now is a mechanical filter box. I'm not sure if there the same thing? it does have bio balls and two filters. and it seems to get dirt rather quick. I washed both the filter pads today with the pond water I took out of the pond and put them back in the box along with fluva pads. but I will def keep an eye on it and let yall know what happens with it.

Reaction score
Wow. is that's Fluva material like the quilt batting but in a smaller size? I think I will be going to wally world to pick up some quilt batting? Can I put that batting material inside the mechanical filter box in place of the filter pads?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't think so mechanical may mess it up .I use quilt batting year round and built my own filter from watching you tube .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52128]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52118]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep it simple and cheap and no uv either not gonna waste my money on it .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53419]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53415]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53414]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53329]

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
oneman1pond said:
I don't have a bio filter yet. I'm waiting on one that has a UV light. The filter I have in the pond now is a mechanical filter box. I'm not sure if there the same thing? it does have bio balls and two filters. and it seems to get dirt rather quick. I washed both the filter pads today with the pond water I took out of the pond and put them back in the box along with fluva pads. but I will def keep an eye on it and let yall know what happens with it.
Unless you actively kill the bacteria that develop everything in the pond including the walls has biobugs and takes part in bio filtration. The bio in bio balls stands for biological.

The algae in the water is feeding on ammonia. When and if you get rid of it the bio filter will need to deal with it.

I agree with sissy. You can spend a ton of money on pond stuff. If you learn how it works you can get the same effect in many cases. Quilt batting is great. I used old photographic trays with a grid of holes to evenly distribute the water. The trays each had a coconut matt in them which helped distribute the water a bit better to the holes and act as a prefilter.

These are the vats used by a now [SIZE=12.222222328186035px]deceased[/SIZE] Chinese Goldfish master, kept Goldfish for 60 years. The green water is there by choice.
qedunagy.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And those selling it are laughing all the way to the bank .You tube has lots of step by step builds of filters you just need to find one you like and one you think will fit your needs and go for it .You never know you may get it done and done cheap and it will work .

Ask a Question