Greetings from extreme south Louisiana!

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi everyone! My name is John, I found this forum while doing research on building a bog filter for my approximately 550-600gal in-ground concrete garden pond. We bought our house in September of 2020 that already had the pond since the 1980’s. It was a big draw to the house and property when we first looked at it because it hit a desire for a pond that I had since childhood going to plant nurseries with my grandmother. The pond had a population of both common and comet goldfish breeding in it when we purchased the house and was choked out with Hydrilla and Nymphaea odorata. In the first year of owning the home I started slowly removing the Hydrilla from the pond and the unbelievable amount of vegetative debris from the bottom just before we were hit by Hurricane Ida then the pond went on the back burner while we sorted through home repairs. Last October I adopted a fully grown female map turtle from a friend who was trying to get out of tank keeping and moved it into my pond which reignited my interest getting my pond on track to reaching its potential as an ideal habitat for her. In the last several weeks I replaced my my burned up in pond pump that ran my waterfall and spitter with a new larger one and last Friday I did a full drain on the pond so that I could remove all the remaining vegetative material from the bottom with nets and a shop vac. From previous experience with aquaria I saved as much water from the upper strata of the pond in a drum and a kiddie pool to retain beneficial bacteria along with hold my Nymphaea lilies, map turtle and goldfish while I cleaned the pond using tips I learned from lurking on this forum. My current bioload is approximately 15+/- assorted common and comet goldfish around 4” or less in length and the map turtle. I’d eventually like to select towards only comets in time or possibly shifting over to mostly some native fish from my region that can easily overwinter here such as sailfin mollies and one of the smaller sunfish species such as dollar or red-spotted sunfish. If I stick to goldfish what would be an ideal number of comets in a 600ish gallon pond with a focus on their ability to approach max size? I’m not well versed in goldfish husbandry, all my aquarium fish keeping experience was with assorted tropicals, south/central American cichlids and native fresh, brackish and saltwater species.

I’m currently looking at either buying a 70gal stock tank or building something myself from 2x12” boards and a pond liner for something more custom to the dimensions behind my waterfall. I had found the Nelson’s Nursery website and their bog filter instructions years ago when helping a college friend construct a backyard pond for keeping native species he was catching during electro fishing trips. We had planted the bog with Typha latifolia we had pulled from our area and were both blown away with the clarity of the water in the main pond for the bioload he was running and I knew if I ever had a pond of my own it was getting a bog filter. The space I have to work with behind the waterfall for the bog is 5.5’x2’, I was planning to use Nelson’s suggested 12” for my gravel bed depth unless their could be some benefit to going a little deeper with it? I also went with Nelson’s suggestion of a 2” diameter pvc for the manifold and used a chop saw to cut slits 1/3 down every inch for approximately 4’ of the length and was planning to use the single manifold being that I’ll be at or under 2’ in width.

Here’s a few recent pictures of it before and after the draining/cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6214.jpeg
    IMG_6214.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6217.jpeg
    IMG_6217.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 13

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum John. With 15 goldfish and the turtle, I would stand pat as the goldfish usually will reproduce.

I have a small inground bog, gravel depth about 18"-24". More gravel will give you more filtration and rooting medium for the plants. Many folks on the forum have gone even deeper I believe. Would depend on your container and space/design.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum John. With 15 goldfish and the turtle, I would stand pat as the goldfish usually will reproduce.

I have a small inground bog, gravel depth about 18"-24". More gravel will give you more filtration and rooting medium for the plants. Many folks on the forum have gone even deeper I believe. Would depend on your container and space/design.
Thanks! The current goldfish are what’s left from the previous owners that I haven’t re-homed or the turtle hasn’t eaten.

Ok good! That’s what my common sense was telling me, but I kept seeing it suggested elsewhere online that y can have trouble with depths over 12” or something like that. My wife and I are planning to use purple flag irises as the main species in the bog and there’s quite a few others I encounter at work I’m tempted to try that I know for certain have root systems in the floating marshes here that exceed 12”. Going 24” will likely result in the bog system‘s outlet fitting perfectly with the existing waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome John. Sure sounds like you're going to have fun with your bog - your climate allows for sooooo many wonderful plants! Leave room for some as I'm certain that you'll think of a few to try :) Like maybe hostas, carnivorous plants, etc.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for these welcomes!!!

Welcome John. Sure sounds like you're going to have fun with your bog - your climate allows for sooooo many wonderful plants! Leave room for some as I'm certain that you'll think of a few to try :) Like maybe hostas, carnivorous plants, etc.
The bog has me really excited about the pond again and about my backyard as a whole. I have access to some really cool native wetland plants at some of the floating freshwater marsh and swamp sites I visit with work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for these welcomes!!!

The bog has me really excited about the pond again and about my backyard as a whole. I have access to some really cool native wetland plants at some of the floating freshwater marsh and swamp sites I visit with work.
I'll be looking forward to your updates - sounds like fun :)

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'll be looking forward to your updates - sounds like fun :)
I’m hoping to pull some native sphagnum moss today for my paludarium. I wonder if it would work like a living mulch or ground cover around plants in a bog filter On top of the grave?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

My bog is around 2.5 feet deep. And big. 13years running with no maintenance except pulling excess growth.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

My bog is around 2.5 feet deep. And big. 13years running with no maintenance except pulling excess growth.
Thanks for the welcome!

I saw that in some of your posts while researching information. Between the informative nature of your and others posts here and overall happy demeanor I couldn’t help myself but register for the full experience. It’s been quite the opposite trend on the outdoors and gear related forums I’ve been on the last 4 years or so. I love learning and finding new ways to do things and that’s seemingly a shared trait here.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
IMG_6227.jpeg
I’ve been shocked by how much my map turtle’s behavior has changed since draining and cleaning the pond last Friday. It didn’t take the full weekend for her to start begging for reptamin sticks every time I sit on the pond side swing.

Ask a Question