Greetings from New Zealand!

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Isn't it great that we can enjoy our passion for fish keeping in spite of Covid restrictions! I am relatively new to fish keeping and am enjoying upskilling my knowledge base by looking at this forum.

Although I'm a second generation fish keeper, my first pond came about when we created an Asian Garden and dug a 30,000 litre (7925 gallons) pond, installed a filter with uv, skimmer, lots of filtration plants and a large "filtration island". Then started to stock it with fish. We so enjoyed the "food for our soul" that watching the fish provided, that I decided to start breeding fish as a future retirement income.

We started creating additional ponds to become fish farmers! We cut 4 x IBC tanks in half to create 8 x 500 litre (136 gallon) tanks and created a reticulating filtration system for them (filter with uv) to manage the water quality.

Having recognised some limitations which our previous lack of knowledge building our first pond had caused for breeding purposes, we created another large outdoor pond 16,000 litre (4227 gallons). This has been planted and cycling for about four weeks and we plan to introduce the shubunkin fish shortly.

Attachments

• First pond.JPG
    First pond.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. So will you be raising just shubinkin for sale? And in New Zealand? Is there enough market there? The thing I found that my goldfish loved and exploded on population, was that I didn’t fuss over water clarity, I had plenty of algae, the kind that turns water into pea soup, but I went from few babies to many. Many plants that provide places for them to hide helps massively as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a lovely pond! BTW, I responded under one of your other threads! I love Shubunkin. @addy1 has a pond full and they are beautiful! My Shubies all interbred with my Comets and Commons, and now all of them are either solid orange, bi-color (orange and white), and solid white. I am very fond of the black color as well as the blue color, but now, the only black ones I get are the “yearlings,” before they become orange. Sigh.....!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
wonderful pond, and welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question