Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
Been enjoying and learning from the discussions on here for a bit, so I just wanted to say thank you all. I hope everyone is doing well.

Some before and after pics of our pond.

Before - a bunch of invasive blackberry:
95B46C2E-FAA7-467C-9B2F-9BDF0D6B56AC.JPG

after removing the blackberry, revealing some fun boulders and a pond idea is born:
IMG_4124.JPG

and, at it's next iteration:
IMG_4429.JPG

with a light dusting of snow:
7788A02C-0D5E-48D7-80C7-EED38A842762.jpg

and during my favorite time of year:
8FA7C9A1-5FBD-42CB-BB13-A4C76E86AA00.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-18_14-15-14.gif
@capski I'm in PNW also so we are neighbors. You did a beautiful job on that pond! Love those boulders! Oh and I'm up in Arlington Heights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smhi.gif
and welcome!
Love what you've done with those boulders, and the steps on the side....beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all! Much appreciated. As you all know, lots of muscle aches, some nasty cuts and pushing through utter confusion/frustration to make this thing happen, but 1 year in and quite proud of it. Many calm, meditative moments out there.

Admittedly it was probably a bit foolish as a first major DIY project for a first time homebuyer, but it worked out! Now with first child on the way verrrrry soon, glad we got it done. Just need to get the plants going for this year (haven't taken the water lily leap yet...but excited to give it a shot)

I've wanted a pond my whole life (I remember being obsessed as a child with the simple little courtyard pond at the Honolulu Academy of Arts in Hawai'i - pic below. Taking art classes there, I'd always just sneak away and enjoy the quiet) and in high school, my best friend and i built a pond in his backyard. Was thrilled my wife was fully on board with it for our home as an adult.

Very stoked to have found this community of passionate people!

honolulu-museum-of-art.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful pond looks to be doing very well and greetings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm happy to hear new parents who aren't afraid of a pond with a small child. So many people have told us they would never want a backyard pond with kids. But ours grew up around ponds and water and learned to respect the water and how to enjoy it safely. It's like anything else you teach your kids - how to cross the street, how to use the kitchen, how to mow a lawn, ride a bike, drive a car - all have dangers, but you teach them so they can successfully navigate the world.

Ask a Question