Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The last rescue I brought into the sanctuary was the female map turtle and her clutch of 5 eggs. As the images I posted before indicated the hatchlings were a 4/5 success because one of the eggs was sterile but 4 viable map turtle hatchlings is good because they are notoriously hard to incubate and hatch in captivity especially considering I had to do it myself late in the process (I got the mom and eggs about 85% into the incubation period). Although my work payed off in the 4 baby "Atlas's" ;) unfortunately the stress was too much on the already neglected and abused mother who died sometime last night. To be honest I am surprised she survived the process of finding somewhere to lay her clutch in the conditions she came out of so in my opinion she is a hero if you will and therefore will get a burial accordingly. Sorry for the sad news but I feel obligated to inform you all about the rescue since this forum and its members were a part of it from concept to reality and have been supportive ever since. The hatchlings are named John, Paul, George & Ringo and they are all healthy and will be ready for adoption in about 3 months (if I don't keep em :ROFLMAO:)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sad but happy! :) glad they hatched
7488576012_7b467b1562_b.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sad but in a way happy end to a brave mother who gave her all so her hatchlings would survive :cry:

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sad but in a way happy end to a brave mother who gave her all so her hatchlings would survive :cry:

Dave
Exactly Dave. That is why she will get a very special burial place in the turtle cemetery. I think it is sad too but I am happy she was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice because due to her selflessness there is now 4 healthy male map turtle hatchlings.
PS: When I named them after the Beatles I did not realize they were gonna go Helter Skelter in the hatchling habitat lol They are very healthy and hyper little guys. Already they have broken one one of the basking docks while playing and now they have manged to shake the anchor loose that holds the basking logs under the lights but for now I am gonna let them be cause they seem to enjoy riding the logs around the stock tank in the current of the warm water circulation pump :D

Ask a Question