j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Did mine the ledge way w/rocks just a few inches down and another set of rocks above. Can't see my liner at all and plants all grow nicely in between the rocks and into the water creating a more natural look.

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6169.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JW, that's really nice to see. So the liner comes up the back side of the lower set of rocks?

DC1346

Culinary God
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you have already made up your mind, why ask the question?

I appreciate your advice but some of you are pushing your advice a little too strongly.

So I cannot paint an EPDM liner period?

Really? What ... the pond police are going to bust down my door and arrest me if I dare to paint a liner? Will I be sanctioned by the EPA or perhaps the Girl Scouts of America?

And it's not just this thread but it's also the one in which I was criticized for liking mosquito fish. If I choose to like mosquito fish, what's this to any of you? This is my pond, not yours.

This is not a very warm and welcoming forum.

I'm out of here.

Last edited:

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Ah, don't go away mad DC1346. Paint your liner, liners can be painted. Stay.

You asked for advice, you got it. You wanted to paint a liner, you were advised not to. You were offered suggestions on how to avoid doing it. You pooh-poohed it. If you want to paint your liner, then paint it.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks JW, that's really nice to see. So the liner comes up the back side of the lower set of rocks?

Yep easy as pie to put a little shelf around the edge, lay the rubber liner in and put the rocks on the shelf and then liner goes up and over a mound of dirt in mine and the then more rocks on top sitting part way over the bottom rocks on the shelf.

@DC1346 I don't think anyone is trying to tell you what to do, they just are trying to let you know what they think and maybe save you time and effort on doing it another way if you so choose. You can go ahead and paint it and if it turns out great and you love it then you can let us all know and we might learn something from you. Trial and error or trial and succeed, we will never know unless you try it. Happy to have you stay.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gee whiz ma
I appreciate your advice but some of you are pushing your advice a little too strongly.

So I cannot paint an EPDM liner period?

Really? What ... the pond police are going to bust down my door and arrest me if I dare to paint a liner? Will I be sanctioned by the EPA or perhaps the Girl Scouts of America?

And it's not just this thread but it's also the one in which I was criticized for liking mosquito fish. If I choose to like mosquito fish, what's this to any of you? This is my pond, not yours.

This is not a very warm and welcoming forum.

I'm out of here.
Gee whiz man,don't go away mad........just go away!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So many people come here looking for advice on how to conceal exposed liner after their pond is built. Every one of them wishes they had just done it right in the first place. A painted liner would look like exactly that - a painted liner. If that's the look you're going for, have at it. I personally wanted my pond to look as natural as possible and therefore did everything possible to conceal the liner during the design and building of the pond.

This is without a doubt the friendliest and most informative pond forum I have found. Many of us have shared different opinions and hold different viewpoints on pond management, but it's always done in a friendly, respectful tone. No one was rude to you or even slightly pushy... you just seem to be adverse to hearing information that counters your ideas. But if you don't like hearing other opinions (even though you did come here and ASK for them) then you're probably better off just talking to yourself anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep easy as pie to put a little shelf around the edge, lay the rubber liner in and put the rocks on the shelf and then liner goes up and over a mound of dirt in mine and the then more rocks on top sitting part way over the bottom rocks on the shelf.

Thanks. This looks like what I want to do except that I don't want constant rocks but more of a scattered natural rock look. So I figure on the inside of the pond I'll put a mixture of rocks and plants. On the outside, some larger rocks holding the liner in place and I may bury some edging blocks to hold up the liner.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks. This looks like what I want to do except that I don't want constant rocks but more of a scattered natural rock look. So I figure on the inside of the pond I'll put a mixture of rocks and plants. On the outside, some larger rocks holding the liner in place and I may bury some edging blocks to hold up the liner.
You can make pouches for your plants, JW showed me how to do it and I use the pouches for both rocks and plants. The small rocks on the right and the plant are both held by her pouches.
27.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Katylynn this conversation is from 2016. I would not expect a response.

But if I was to add my two cents there are ROOF coatings to block uv from EPDM . How ever I know of none that are labeled fish friendly. Nor that are for marine use.

The author said he had a working knoledge of ponding, well I say he had more to learn.

The best way to hide EPDM or any liner at the surface is to make a shelf a step sorta speek all the way around the pond. That is about 4 to 6 inches deep. Then you place your rocks on the shelf hiding the liner. There are many other ways to also trim out the ponds surface but that is probably the quickest ad easiest.

Another option is rock on a roll it's similar to EPDM with a sand coating of some sort on it making it look like rock

I have left geo fabric draped over the liner as the finished detail assuming that plants would grow through the fabric with the roots giving it a place to hold on.

This is what the black fabric looks like today .

Attachments

• 20230527_085118.jpg
    20230527_085118.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
Im thinking most of you have zero on hand experience with ponds and pond liners. There is actually liquid rubber, fish and human safe, made specifically for the painting of pond liners... which are made out of rubber. For example, "NEOPOND" liquid rubber. It adheres, helps somewhat hide folds, patches small holes, covers tape and patches. It produces a seperate membrane for the pond. Then, I use a pool paint over it. Now there are many types of pond liners and liquid rubber does not work ideally on them all. And not all liquid rubber brands can be painted. But seriously, there is safe paints, like epoxys from pond guy for example. You can paint your pond liners. Psh, we've done it successfully more than a few times.

Ask a Question