Has anyone used the quilt batting for quick cleanup?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't get me started @sissy ........

bATTING WORKS TOO WELL AND CLOGS QUICKLY BUT THAT IS THE POINT TO CATCH THE FINES KEEP THE LAYERS FAIRLY THIN

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I use the blue reusable furnace filters a layer of batting a layer of furnace filter a layer of batting a layer of furnace filter . I make sure the top layers is 2 layers of furnace filter . The furnace filter is easy to clean , I use a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water with a half cup of peroxide in it and rinse the furnace filter and that water from the bucket gets dumped in my yard . It picks up the heavy stuff and the quilt batting does not get dirty as fast as it only picks up the really fine stuff

Attachments

• DSC03199.JPG
    DSC03199.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It is not always filtration ,it is more about balance . Water movement and aeration and adding in plants for a bonus cleaning and also not over feeding fish . Just like chilfdren need to learn to clean up after themselves ,fish need to clean their own room

I have been adding plants at a decent clip. They seem like they are more of a long term solution, right?

I am hopeful that mechanical filtration plus the UV will enhance clarity beyond what the natural system is doing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I clean mine in a 5 gallon bucket with peroxide in it , soak it hose it off and put it back in the filter . Then water in the bucket gets thrown on my garden , great fertilizer . Peroxide acts like bleach does except peroxide is safe for fish and to clean pond stuff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
So on my third turn of the Quilt Batting. It is taking longer and longer to turn green. The pond water has totally cleared up. I can see to the bottom. I tested my water, test strips, numbers are great. The bog is clearly doing it's job. The plants are doing their job. The bio filter in the urn is doing it's job.

For now, I threw some of the leftover Quilt Batting in the urn filter, along with an activated carbon "bag." I'm actually pretty sure if I let the bog focus 100% on biological filtration and just ripped all the biological components out of the urn and just had the urn mechanically filter with a stack of pads I'd be fine. If I had two sets I could even swap them every few months and actually chlorinate them to clean them up.

I ordered a OASE Biosmart 1600 off Ebay because I didn't want anything too big, it's small. I'm hoping that gives me a very easy to clean filter solution that will help keep the water clear. I'm not sure that it's going to be a long term solution or was just a dumb idea. Either way, it was $100, so not the end of the world either way.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The quilt batting is usually used as a temporary filter until the water clears. Keeping it in a filter can cause problems because of it clogging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The quilt batting is usually used as a temporary filter until the water clears. Keeping it in a filter can cause problems because of it clogging.
Right. Definitely not a real solution. Water is clearing nicely. Clearly I need more mechanical filtration. And I don't want it to be painful to clean, or require lots of cleaning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used bed pillows held up by a bracket under my inlets as a quick temporary green removal. I just cut a slit in the top and let them got !

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've used that when first starting up a pond to get all the fines out (dust, sand, ash) type of stuff. For algae I guess it would work well, but you should really look into setting up a bog like Addie is suggesting. Those work like a charm!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did some foolish things, was adding water from well and the filter got filled, etc. I also added a bunch of fish and overfed. Now the water isn't great. It's slowly getting better each day, but I was hoping to do a rapid cleanup.

In the past I did the quilt batting with a small crate (6"), but was thinking of dropping the full size one in. Hoping that it 1-2 days of that will remove a bunch of the algae. Am I being foolish and should just wait for bogs/plants to clean it out, or is it reasonable to try to rapidly filter the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did some foolish things, was adding water from well and the filter got filled, etc. I also added a bunch of fish and overfed. Now the water isn't great. It's slowly getting better each day, but I was hoping to do a rapid cleanup.

In the past I did the quilt batting with a small crate (6"), but was thinking of dropping the full size one in. Hoping that it 1-2 days of that will remove a bunch of the algae. Am I being foolish and should just wait for bogs/plants to clean it out, or is it reasonable to try to rapidly filter the water?
I use polyester batting in my 350 aquarium it will polish the water just keep an eye out it will clog up pretty quick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I've used that when first starting up a pond to get all the fines out (dust, sand, ash) type of stuff. For algae I guess it would work well, but you should really look into setting up a bog like Addie is suggesting. Those work like a charm!!
I have a big system. Works lovely. I made some mistakes and my bogs can’t keep up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Miami Al the best teacher is experiance . Share what you would do differently . Why can't your bog keep up.

Ask a Question