Have you ever seen a Koi like this? What kind is it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This fish appeared last year when I had no koi in the pond, only comets. He was tiny like all the other babies from last year but looked different, see this thread:https://www.gardenpondforum.com/top...his-alien-fish/page__hl__alien__fromsearch__1

But now a year later he has outgrown the other comet babies and looks very much different including visible barbs like a koi.

It must be a koi right since it has barbs? what kind is it? have you ever seen any like this?

btw, there are two of them.

DSCN2207.jpg

He was the same size as the baby comet next to him last year, you can see how much has outgrown all the babies...

DSCN2289.jpg

DSCN2317.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks a little like my bert and koi grow fast really fast ,but did notice Bert is not as big as aggie

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pecan, That actually looks to me like it might be a hybrid. A cross between a comet and a Koi. I really couldn't name what kind but it sure has grown to be a nice looking fish. I remember you posting before about it and it's for sure not a common comet. It may not get quite as big as a standard Koi but if it will keep that face it will always be a great fish to enjoy.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have one that looks exactly like him, he's a koi and I call him Goldie because of his gold coloring. I've seen quite a few with those two dark spots in front of his face.

Reaction score
Hybrid, hadn't thought of that. I think you nailed it. Good article on hybrids.

I've been trying to decide between Koi or Goldfish, now I'm thinking all hybrids. Wasn't someone else asking about an all black fish in another thread? Hybrid also maybe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you all are correct. He has one small set of barbels not two or zero. I think this puts him in hte hybred range. Good call and what a pretty fish he is becoming.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I love my Goldie. Every fish has his own personality and Goldie likes to stand upright and go backwards. Other fish make U-turns but he just ups and flaps his fins and backs up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love my Goldie. Every fish has his own personality and Goldie likes to stand upright and go backwards. Other fish make U-turns but he just ups and flaps his fins and backs up.

Funny, the two of mine do the same thing, swim backwards. Strangest thing I ever saw. Silly fishies. Now I need names for these two pond crashers LOL. Any ideas?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
@pecan, name them for some characteristics they have. I also have Goldilocks, Red-eye, Half, Cynthia Whitehead, Blacktip, Cheesecake, etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HA HA how about Reverse, Backup, Backflip, Backtrack or Backpedal :razz:

Reaction score
I had several of those hatch last year. One has lost almost all the black and is mostly yellow now. One is black across its back and yellow everywhere else. One lost the yellow and is now a bluish grey and others look just like yours minus the yellow. Those look just like their moms. The fathers are, one solid yellow, the other yellow and white.

Reaction score
isn't it just a ghost koi (that's the direct translation from French... we call them Koi fantome... ) or an hybrid of one.

Ask a Question