Having trouble with diagnosing the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! I agree, this is a really lovely forum and as you say, it's great to connect with other people who can share their experience with problems, or simply exchange tips and ideas

Your pond sounds lovely! I've never heard of gambuzias, checked them out online and they eat mosquito larvae? Very useful fish to have, we do get a few mosquitos near the water here, been bitten a few times whilst observing the fish! I hope you eventually do add some koi, they are so beautiful.

When we moved into our property 7 years ago there was a raised circular pond on the patio area. We added four koi to this pond as tiny ones. We've since had an extension on the back and so needed to remove the raised pond to create space. Cue a mini digger and removal of quite a bit of ground and we now have our sunken pond! I'll see if it will allow me to attach a photo. (The pond is not quite as beautiful as it can be following a few issues!)
20230822_114547.jpg

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hi there! I agree, this is a really lovely forum and as you say, it's great to connect with other people who can share their experience with problems, or simply exchange tips and ideas

Definitely!

Your pond sounds lovely! I've never heard of gambuzias, checked them out online and they eat mosquito larvae? Very useful fish to have, we do get a few mosquitos near the water here, been bitten a few times whilst observing the fish! I hope you eventually do add some koi, they are so beautiful.

His Honour the Chef keep after me to finish the bog already so we can go to the koi breeders up north and pick out a couple. But it's been too hot for digging, so he'll just have to wait. I do hope to have it up and running by the holidays (only a month away now). Not sure that's going to happen, but it's good to have a goal!

Gambuzias are great for mosquito control, but don't add them if you want your fish to breed; they eat anything smaller than themselves, and gobble up fish eggs. But they're small, so some people use them in livestock water troughs and even large birdbaths. If I ever have to drain my pond, I'll probably round them all up and give them away, and put rosie barb minnows in instead. They're also good for mosquito control, a bit less voracious, and may allow a few fish fry to survive.

When we moved into our property 7 years ago there was a raised circular pond on the patio area. We added four koi to this pond as tiny ones. We've since had an extension on the back and so needed to remove the raised pond to create space. Cue a mini digger and removal of quite a bit of ground and we now have our sunken pond! I'll see if it will allow me to attach a photo. (The pond is not quite as beautiful as it can be following a few issues!)

Nice! It would be easy to add a small bog filter up at the top of your stream and you'd have all the filtration you need!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely!

His Honour the Chef keep after me to finish the bog already so we can go to the koi breeders up north and pick out a couple. But it's been too hot for digging, so he'll just have to wait. I do hope to have it up and running by the holidays (only a month away now). Not sure that's going to happen, but it's good to have a goal!

Gambuzias are great for mosquito control, but don't add them if you want your fish to breed; they eat anything smaller than themselves, and gobble up fish eggs. But they're small, so some people use them in livestock water troughs and even large birdbaths. If I ever have to drain my pond, I'll probably round them all up and give them away, and put rosie barb minnows in instead. They're also good for mosquito control, a bit less voracious, and may allow a few fish fry to survive.

Nice! It would be easy to add a small bog filter up at the top of your stream and you'd have all the filtration you need!
Are you in the USA? I know how hot some areas have been this summer. Certainly too hot for digging! It is good to have a goal and an idea in your mind as its something to look forward to completing!

Our fish havent bred, we aren't sure which ones are male and which are female. I like the idea of barb minnows though, unfortunately we are having to reduce our stock rather than add to it.

I really like the idea of a bog filter! We do have space at the top too, hmm something worth considering I think!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20230817_131017.jpg

20230823_160529.jpg

Hello all, just trying to add photos a slightly different way to see if anyone would be able to give us an idea as to what possible parasite this could be? It's clearer to see on this orange fish. There's one patch just behind his gill and another larger one towards his tail.

I have had some very helpful suggestions of treatments, however at that point my pictures weren't visible. Hoping the uploads will work this time. Grateful for any ideas and I don't mean to be a nuisance, just would rather get this cleared up before things potentially get worse. I understand that some parasites cannot be diagnosed visually, just thought I'd ask as you've all been so helpful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you’re sure it’s a parasite, then maybe fish lice? Just guessing due to size.

Attachments

• Koi parasites, how to identify and eradicate them.pdf
    229.5 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parasites generally don't get that large 90 % cant be seen with the naked eye bacterial or fungal infection is more my thinking

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Are you in the USA? I know how hot some areas have been this summer. Certainly too hot for digging! It is good to have a goal and an idea in your mind as its something to look forward to completing!

No, I'm in Israel (just down the road from you: drive south and take sharp left when you get to Turkey. Watch for bumps while driving through Lebanon!). And yes, way too hot for this old granny to be out with a pickaxe. I have gotten a bit of work done though, mostly by working in very short stints and then soaking myself with the hose. Need to update my build thread with the progress!

Our fish havent bred, we aren't sure which ones are male and which are female. I like the idea of barb minnows though, unfortunately we are having to reduce our stock rather than add to it.
Something for once you've found homes for some of the koi. @GBBUDD pointed out on another thread that colorful small fish that school are fun to watch. The rosie barbs to school, but I've only got seven of them at the moment, and I think the gambuzias are keeping them from breeding.

I really like the idea of a bog filter! We do have space at the top too, hmm something worth considering I think!

It certainly cuts down on maintenance! And also adds another bit of beauty to the pond, as you can grow all sorts of colorful plants. Once it's completed, the bog is going to be home to all sorts of plants that would never survive our dry climate. But first I have to get the friggin' thing built!

Ask a Question