addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does Missy sit in the window all day and watch the goings on outside?
She watches the yard, barks at the vultures, they don't belong in her sky space, barks at the squirrels, they don't belong on her deck! But she is not there barking constantly just if something is there that does not belong.

If I am out in the yard working she watches me from the windows.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the new netting coming on Tuesday. I went to go down and check on fish and the hawk flew off the deck right over my head and not only spooked me but the deer in the yard! I'm hoping that they hit the net once and get the idea that the ponds are off limits.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In all my years of watching, I have not seen hawks mess with the pond. This was a first. They go for the frogs in the small ponds, never touched the netted pond.
I'm hoping that they hit the net once and get the idea that the ponds are off limits.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have debated , with my self for years, which one they were. They do a lot of in flight calling, constant.
I measured the pot the hawk was sitting on, it is 6 inches. They live in our woods behind the house.

It was funny watching the birds fly past it as it sat there on the pot. The birds were flying to the feeder up the hill from it. But once it flew they scattered!
I am sure they are good hunters, just have not seen success, when I have seen them hunting.

We also have a few falcons around.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It looks like a sharp shinned or Coopers hawk. The sharp shinned is a bit smaller than the Coopers. Both mostly eat small birds. They are incredible flyers and can zip through thick branches of bushes chasing birds.

I've seen the Red Tailed Hawks up this way fly through thick trees and come out the other side with birds in their clutches. They are like dive bombers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
On Friday night, I went to check on the pond, and I saw a huge shape rise from the vicinity, the waterfall I think. It was a barred owl, and it landed on the power lines over the pond and just watched me for a while. It was pretty awesome. When I hike by a reservoir just outside the city, I sometimes see them (I know where to look), but in 11 years living in Baltimore that is the first time I saw an owl anywhere. I hope it wasn't trying to get to my fish, because I love owls and wouldn't want to deter this one from coming back in any way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a lot of owls, love listening to their calling. A lot of the great horned owls.

Ask a Question