Hello all from a Suffolk pond person.

Reaction score
...or those water scarecrows that shoot water at anything that walks in front of the motion sensor on them..........................including you, lol!
I'm considering getting one of those j.w. The thing is, I really don't like having the net there & it has to be really well sealed down or else the Moorhens find their way onto the pond. But then they can't get out again! (not the brightest of creatures...) & I have to rescue them. Incidentally, it doesn't show in my photo but the net is held up above the water by wooden spacers. Trouble is, it gradually stretches.

Although they look cute (and their chicks even more so) they're extremely aggressive, quite vicious in fact, and chase all the other birds off. My two rather elderly chickens now hide way in the undergrowth.

The nest on the pond is just for daytime accommodation - their main nests are in my neighbour's hedge. Consulting the RSPCA is a good suggestion Becky - I'll give them a call. Incidentally, they're not a protected species and looking on the internet (thought I'd put that instead of 'net') there's a hunting season for them, and recipes!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of those j.w. The thing is, I really don't like having the net there & it has to be really well sealed down or else the Moorhens find their way onto the pond. But then they can't get out again! (not the brightest of creatures...) & I have to rescue them. Incidentally, it doesn't show in my photo but the net is held up above the water by wooden spacers. Trouble is, it gradually stretches.

Although they look cute (and their chicks even more so) they're extremely aggressive, quite vicious in fact, and chase all the other birds off. My two rather elderly chickens now hide way in the undergrowth.

The nest on the pond is just for daytime accommodation - their main nests are in my neighbour's hedge. Consulting the RSPCA is a good suggestion Becky - I'll give them a call. Incidentally, they're not a protected species and looking on the internet (thought I'd put that instead of 'net') there's a hunting season for them, and recipes!
well i hope then they move to northern Ireland they are protected there year round .... i still think it would be a real shame to harm them, they are only aggressive to protect the young ... just try rehoming them im sure the RSPB or the RSPCA would be able to help

Reaction score
I'd never dream of hurting them. And their agressive nature's because they're fiercely territorial; even the chicks chase other birds away!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can, get some chick picts! would love to see them.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi suffolk tony if they sleep in hedge of a night, could you not remove empty nest and put a screen up around pond say 18" high until they move off site, or am i missing the plot.

Reaction score
A fence round the pond is a definite option whiskey.

The thing is, I'd be content to let them be if only they didn't completely destroy all the pond plants. Up until four years ago, before they moved in, the pond was lush with vegetation but they rapidly reduced it to a stagnant, muddy mess. I cleaned out the accumulated sludge, replaced the liner and replanted but the pond just hasn't recovered.
moorhens.jpg

Here's a photo of some of the more mature chicks & mother I took a couple of years ago -

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Little black fuzzies, they are neat to look at but it would suck to have them destroy your beautiful pond. Hope you can find a nice balance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think after the babies from this years batch are outta the nest or even before that cuz their real nest is somewhere else you should put some of those scarecrows around the pond in different places and that should work cuz it will startle them. Just remember the motion sensor eye on the detector can not face towards the sun but of course the sun moves so just work it out somehow so there will always be at least one or two that can squirt. You can be the tester, lol..............wear your swimming shorts, lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think after the babies from this years batch are outta the nest or even before that cuz their real nest is somewhere else you should put some of those scarecrows around the pond in different places and that should work cuz it will startle them. Just remember the motion sensor eye on the detector can not face towards the sun but of course the sun moves so just work it out somehow so there will always be at least one or two that can squirt. You can be the tester, lol..............wear your swimming shorts, lol!
Sounds like you have done some testing jw, lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No but my neighbor up the road bought several off the internet. She has lots of peacocks that roam free and they get in her garden. She forgets they are on and gets sprayed, lol! They do work good for her w/ the peacocks and most everything that comes near them.

Ask a Question