Hello everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for for admitting me. I am excited to learn and share with everybody. Like many people I started with a small preformed pond. Over the years my pond has metamorphosed and is now aprox 1,000 gallons plus a stream and waterfall. It is very addicting! I recently had my first fishtastrophe and lost my koi and goldfish - still not sure of the cause. I am making use of my grieving period by redoing a few things, most notably enlarging the stream and waterfall area and creating a wading area near the top of my stream for the grand babies to splash in. As you can imagine my yard is a mess. My sweet hubby came out today, put his hands on his hips and said "I guess we have to go look for more rocks". I love that man!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and sorry to hear about your fish .We had a similar thing happen in my little pond group here .They only difference was the dogs were playing in the stream and they had a flea dip and had flea collars on and we thought that caused the problem .Maybe your grandchildren had lotion or sunscreen on or carried some fertilizer from the lawn into the stream .Have you tested your water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome and sorry to hear about your fish .We had a similar thing happen in my little pond group here .They only difference was the dogs were playing in the stream and they had a flea dip and had flea collars on and we thought that caused the problem .Maybe your grandchildren had lotion or sunscreen on or carried some fertilizer from the lawn into the stream .Have you tested your water
Thank you Sissy, I am so sorry it happened to you also. We had some unusually hot weather and our painter turned the pond waterfall off for 5 days while we were gone. He also did some pressure washing very close to the pond, but swears nothing got in it. We think one or both of those events caused the loss. Water tested fine!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OH dear .The only way that could not have gotten into the pond is if he covered it completely .I double tarp mine and the put a big sheet of plastic over the whole pond including the filters .Waterfall off like said ,no aeration and good bacteria in it gone and can build up a toxic smelling gas when turned on .I took my temporary filter out to put in the new one and did not clean it for 3 days and man did it smell ,I gagged on the smell .My fault I was busy with the new filter .

Ask a Question