Hello from Delaware

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
Hi guys, glad to be here!

I've got a roughly 1,300 gallon figure 8 shaped pond that is currently filtered by a pressure canister filter with UV. An approx. 5,000 gph submersible pump runs to the canister and it's discharged from a 2" hose at the head of the pond from a crocodile statue thing. The pond was not built by me, but rather it was the main reason I bought the house. Even with it quite neglected I knew I could get it shining. Husband has veto'd building a newer larger pond, so it's a good thing we've already got this one! I have no interest in koi and my two aquatic loves are fancy goldfish and plants, so the size isn't really bad. I've got enough space for a hoard of goldies and a few lily baskets. The location is just kind of annoying as it's in the center of the back yard.

The pond's owner died a few years before the sale of the house and his wife did nothing except feed the handful of comets twice a week during spring and summer. She couldn't recall when it was installed or anything about it really. There was a lot of sludge, leaves, sticks, etc in the bottom that I spent all of last year trying to correct without major intervention or chemicals. Parameters and clarity were great, the bottom was just very...natural looking LOL. Unfortunately I had a fast-acting bacterial infection sweep through my pond and lost 15 of my 17 goldies over the span of two days at the end of May this year. The two remaining were moved to a 150 gallon stock pond I use for water changes to be treated and observed for further issues. While the pond was fishless I decided to drain, clean, and really evaluate the liner. Glad to report everything looked good! And now I have a nice pond bottom to look at.

Doing an overhaul clean on the pond got me thinking about the improvements I want to make, which isn't a good thing for my wallet or free time. At the least, I want to add a good-sized elevated bog that can waterfall back into the pond to increase biological filtration and oxygen exchange. But I am also eyeing retrofitting a bottom drain or an under-gravel suction grid. I want to get my pressure filter dug into the ground to get it out from under the lace leaf Acer and thus easier for maintenance and maybe re-route the intake and outtake to improve circulation. Oh, and lots of landscaping changes, I cannot stand that dwarf pine(there was a second at the front left that was diseased so already cut down) or the shrubby obnoxious thing at the top of the pond. And daylilies just aren't really my thing but they can stay until fall.

Anyone else in the northern DE or SEPA or western NJ areas? I am always looking for local shops and resources!

And now for what everyone really wants- pictures. I will add some of my dearly departed fancies once I find my phone...
pond1.jpg
pond2.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Very nice pond, glad you saved it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593988691637.gif
@AubreyG
Nice pond you inherited and neat you are going to add to it w/a bog. You are gonna keep that beautiful Japanese Red Maple I hope. It can be trimmed really nice underneath so you can see your pond under there and you can trim the upper branches so you can see through them also. Not too much at a time tho as the trunk likes some shade from some branches so the trunk will not get sun burnt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the fact that the main reason you bought your house was because of the pond. That is really cool. It sounds like you've had a pond before—you seem to know a lot about what is needed and how to do it. Thanks so much for sharing and welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Very nice pond, glad you saved it.
Thanks- I've got your bog post up for reading! I will be sort of your way tomorrow or tuesday. Any great stores in the area around Perry Hill/ Annapolis Junction? I think that's about an hourish from your area.

Nice pond you inherited and neat you are going to add to it w/a bog. You are gonna keep that beautiful Japanese Red Maple I hope. It can be trimmed really nice underneath so you can see your pond under there and you can trim the upper branches so you can see through them also. Not too much at a time tho as the trunk likes some shade from some branches so the trunk will not get sun burnt.
The Acer is about the only thing staying and will get a proper thinning this fall. Maybe not as thinned as some enthusiasts would, but enough that it's got some clearance from the ground. It's planted very closely to the liner or I would debate having it dug and sold to help finance my pond endeavor- one this size would bring in quite a bit of change!
I do have a garter snake that seems to live primarily under it and once I move the canister from under there, I am sure she will get more comfortable. The hum must be a bit irritating!

Thanks!

I like the fact that the main reason you bought your house was because of the pond. That is really cool. It sounds like you've had a pond before—you seem to know a lot about what is needed and how to do it. Thanks so much for sharing and welcome!
The house fit all the requirements we had on our Needs and a lot on our Wishes. The pond wasn't mentioned on the listing and the realtor said the owner was thinking of filling it to get it sold- several had chosen not to give offers due to the pond. I was hoping for in in-ground cement pool to retrofit into a pond, but the husband wasn't having that either. So this was perfect.
I've not had a pond before, but I've had a lot of tanks. Husband was military so I wasn't able to have a pond really with renting and moving a lot. I believe in giving your pets the more appropriate lives so a lot of research is always happening here!

Ask a Question