Hello my first pond build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
die to lockdown i thought to get into the garden and start building a pond Now two weeks down the line i have it filled up with water basically cycling for fish the pump does around 3800 litre and hour to the top of the water fall i reused plastic tub thats food safe in their will house the filter with bio balls and foams then it will spill down the waterfall
i built a deck overhanging the pond so you can sit and relax watching the pond next step is to add pond plants landscape then fish.
personally for my first attempt at a pond i dont think it looks to bad its 7ft by 4ft then around 2ft deep in the middle with a 1 foot shelve
many thanks

Attachments

• 03DA2D16-BA0B-46A3-892C-D8481F2C2188.jpeg
    03DA2D16-BA0B-46A3-892C-D8481F2C2188.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 134

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how cute is that do you realize it is almost a heart shape from your pic

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome glad you joined!

Nice looking first pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Is that the liner I see — it looks like it stops at ground level? You might want to put something (rocks, a dirt berm) along the edge to raise the edge of the pond. If it’s what I’m thinking, you are in danger of 1) having ground run-off get into the pond, 2) water getting under the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are ways to dress the edge. Agree with TM you need the edge above ground level. You can hide the liner nicely doing the small rock ledge under water and then more rocks on the dirt. @j.w has some great pictures of her edge showing how it looks
rock edge.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep make a short step down and put rocks on that step in the water and then around the top edge overlap a bit w/the top rocks to hide liner both in water and out. Flatter rocks work nicer but I didn't have a lot of those kind. You can then put some plants in between the rocks w/their roots in the water if you like. I made a burm of dirt behind the rocks so pond is higher than the ground so no run off of water into the pond w/liner overlapping up and over the burm. Planted some plants below the outside of burm so they could trail over the top and into the pond.

See rocks below on step/shelf in water and then those above them around pond edge:

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589904136344.gif
@Mmathis and love not being able to see that black liner around the edge. Hope you post lots of pix when you start building your new pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The deck/overhang is so cute! The fish will enjoy sheltering under it, too, no doubt!

Ask a Question