Hello from Houston

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a 12' x 25' x 20" pond for years and I'm updating it after Hurricane Harvey. Working on water clarity and wondering if I need a bigger pump to turn the volume more than twice a day and/or a different filter to better control that 'pixie dust' - which is both suspended when I vacuum it and that settles to the bottom. I think is is coming mainly from the plants. Another option is a flocculant but never tried that.

I have a 75 gallon DIY swirl/bio filter and a 30 gallon DIY gravity mechanical filter - just waded burlap and muslin basically. Water comes out of that pretty clear and my bio filter is working according to nitrate/nitrite/ammonia testing, so I'm pleased with that filter.

I'd love to hear opinions on improving water clarity. Fish are happy and I'm super feeding the 3 new koi. Thanks, John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
wondering if I need a bigger pump to turn the volume more than twice a day

Welcome @John Monday ! I'm hoping you mean "twice an hour" and not "twice a day". If it's the latter, then yes! But I'm guessing since you are an experienced pond owner that was just a typo.

We'd love to see pictures of your pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @John Monday ! I'm hoping you mean "twice an hour" and not "twice a day". If it's the latter, then yes! But I'm guessing since you are an experienced pond owner that was just a typo.

We'd love to see pictures of your pond!
I'll post some pictures shortly. Now I may be an experienced pond owner, but that doesn't mean I'm a very smart one. That was not a typo. GBBUDD suggested UV but my 'pixie dust', I believe now, is decomposed plant material . I'm deducing the problem as an undersized mechanical filter flow rate. Its a 600gph pump and think I need to at least triple that flow. And just maybe I've miscalculated the total volume of the pond. My dad was a chemical engineer and I thought I got his gene's. Ponding is a total learning experience......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-10_9-7-15.gif
@John Monday

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome.....your pond is roughly 3500-3700 gallons, so you need about 10x your 600gph pump. You need a 6000gph pump or pumps totaling that for proper circulation in your pond. Without a doubt your low circulation is the cause of all the detritus and mulm you see in the water column.

You are correct a UV will do nothing for the detritus in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @John Monday , I agree with the above. You're definitely gonna need more circulation and most people recommend a pump that can circulate total volume of the pond 1.5 - 2x per hour.

Ask a Question