Hello from Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gau11cho, Apr 17, 2017.

1. gau11cho

tbendl T

Welcome. I would definitely net if you have tons of trees.

tbendl, Apr 19, 2017
    gau11cho likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. gau11cho

gau11cho

@addy1 what exact pump and fitting did you use? I have a 385gph submersible pump that i was trying to connect to the pool skimmer using the 1 1/4 hose that i had; but couldnt fit the hose into the pump. Any suggeztion? Or maybe i should buy another pump?

gau11cho, Apr 25, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. gau11cho

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I am using a dragon lim external pump I bought around 20 years ago for my pond in Arizona, moved it to Maryland when I shut that pond down. It pumps around 6800 gph

I have 2 inch pvc coming from the bottom of the skimmer, going to a T where it joins the pvc coming from the pond, which enters the pump. I don't use submersible pumps except in my tiny deck pond. There it just circulates the water when the timer is not running the stream pump which is external also.

To me external pumps are easier to maintain, you don't have clogging prefilters. I usually turn it on in the spring and ignore it for the summer.

addy1, Apr 25, 2017
    gau11cho likes this.
  4. gau11cho

sissy sissy

Hose does not go inside it should go outside and be clamped on with a stainless steel clamp .Clamp should go on the outlet on top of pump pics on durecell back up 490.JPG

sissy, Apr 25, 2017
    gau11cho likes this.
  5. gau11cho

gau11cho

Thanks @addy1 and @sissy. I am finally able to connect it to the pump and running. I also ordered a net and external pump for later use if needed. The only problem i seem to have now is the little foaming on the pond. Not much but it bothers me sometime. I did a water test and it s all good, but its always some white foam floating around. I think the way i build my waterfall help create a lots of bubble, and also i didny have any plants in the pond yet. Is it true or there is something wrong?

Attached Files:

gau11cho, Apr 28, 2017
  6. gau11cho

cas

White Foam or bubbles on the water is probably Protein Buildup (or called DOCs, which stands for ‘dissolved organic carbon’). Something I learned on this site is if you scoop up some foam and let it sit in a bucket, if it is DOCs it will have a slight brown to very dark brown color.

cas, Apr 28, 2017
    gau11cho likes this.
  7. gau11cho

gau11cho

I did what you suggested @cas , it turns slight brown in the bucket. I just added one big pot of irish, 5 of water hyacynth. Dont know if it helps but most lf the foam is gone in 2days, only some left right under the waterfall.

gau11cho, Apr 30, 2017
    cas likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question