Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should see mine I'm always amazed there isn't bodies left behind

Reaction score
Country
United States
Obveously your not a first year pond looks nice and mature.
I do question the food. The fish aren't devouring it. Makes me wonder if its a good food or not. I do spend on the fish food but as you may have seen in last months closeup photos They will come up out of the water for a pellet. Yours aren't exactly fighting over it. And the amount looks like a awful lot. So is barging food a real bargain. I could be way off maybe it's something else going on.

Obveously your not a first year pond looks nice and mature.
I do question the food. The fish aren't devouring it. Makes me wonder if its a good food or not. I do spend on the fish food but as you may have seen in last months closeup photos They will come up out of the water for a pellet. Yours aren't exactly fighting over it. And the amount looks like a awful lot. So is barging food a real bargain. I could be way off maybe it's something else going on.
No its not a 1st yr pond. I just added the bog filter in April I believe, I also added the section where the sweet potato vine is as a semi marginal section just haven't gotten all the rocks yet. I also added the barrel filter about the end of June I think.

The food they are still getting used to it. The neighborhood dog took both containers of food that I had sitting on my porch. She (the dog) is a thief and has a habit of destroying solar lights.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No its not a 1st yr pond. I just added the bog filter in April I believe, I also added the section where the sweet potato vine is as a semi marginal section just haven't gotten all the rocks yet. I also added the barrel filter about the end of June I think.

The food they are still getting used to it. The neighborhood dog took both containers of food that I had sitting on my porch. She (the dog) is a thief and has a habit of destroying solar lights.
This was the pond September 2021. The original pond was much smaller, if I can find those pictures I will upload them. We had to move the original when we added my front porch. So I made it bigger as well

Attachments

• Resized_20210915_091134.jpeg
    Resized_20210915_091134.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized_20210928_085251.jpeg
    Resized_20210928_085251.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Resized_20211018_113529(1).jpeg
    Resized_20211018_113529(1).jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would have stopped at the first handful of food, but that's just me.

Your pond seems very shallow with just one deep part in the middle - am I seeing that correctly?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also - I see plants in pots... why?

Edited to add: WELCOME to the GPF! We're a nosy bunch here... love to ask lots of questions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I came to this site in 2017 it was to learn about creating and maintaining a garden pond. I knew some of the aquarium trade would be helpful in making the jump. But as suspected there was some big changes as well.

One that goldfish can pretty much live off grazing on the algae growth alone. I knew they were tough little guys as seeing people throw them in a bowl with no filter and live for years.

But unlike aquariums there is so much more getting into the water due to winds blowing stuff in. Wildlife ripping things apart as they are doing what they do to survive. Ducks acting like bees transporting microbes parasites and even fish.

How many of this can actually build up in the pond creating algae blooms of all types. Even due to fires 1000's of miles away. Ask me how I know.

I maybe a tad gruff yes just a tad....... just trying to better my knowledge and share what I have learned. The wife won't listen to me so you folks drew the short straw.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Your pond seems very shallow with just one deep part in the middle - am I seeing that correctly?

Your pond seems very shallow with just one deep part in the middle - am I seeing that
Sorry I couldn't get

I have alot of fish unfortunately too many and I did a complete drain and clean out about a month ago so they didn't have all the algae as before. I had to get all the muck out from the bottom. So I feed them a little more than usual but I don't feed them every day now.

The reason the plants are in the containers is because I haven't gotten all the pebbles for the marginal section yet, and the fish love to get them out of their containers. That's what happened to the mini lotus that I started from seed😪. All the plants in and around the pond on the left side were planted this year, except for the cattails and elephant ears in the black flower pot. The plants close to the house have been there for awhile though until next year when I fix that side and change it up.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I have shelves at different levels for the plants along the edge and a few that go deeper for when I need to get into the pond.
Right where I feed the fish it is about 12" 6" away from edge and it slopes down toward the white container that houses the pump for barrel filter.

Ask a Question