Hello from Wisconsin!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
My ledge goes down at least a foot and I did a 2 level kind of sloped edge into the pond, you can still see the liner on the bottom, but I believe it should get covered up with algae so it will look more natural.

you can see the ledge right (the large hole in the left is where I dug out a boulder)

DSC03086.jpg

i understand the clay you were talking about as I dug through it by hand here. it was easiest when it was wet, but I agree with your idea to get some heavy equipment to dig it out. where did you come across the stone so cheap? too bad brookfield is too far away for me, so do your parents live in WI and do you live in WA?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is how my liner looked about 8 months after install, like a natural bottom. You can see the folds, looking down into the 5 foot section. The algae, dirt etc that collects makes it look like a dirt bottom. There is no deep collection of muck here just liner. That black liner nicely gets covered up to look more "natural" just give it time herz

DSC01627.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine looks about the same on the sides but not the bottom .You can scrap a patch off and it is almost an half an inch thick .It smells like moss like you get on the ground in shady spots of your yard .I was watching a show on the animal channel and someone came out with a new pond liner that is grey and supposed to be healthier for your pond and it is still in testing stage and won't be on the market until 2015 .It was grey and is supposed to not support algae growth .They showed it on a large farm pond and they showed the install until when the filming and that was already 2 years of testing .They are doing every test on it like durability ,algae growth ,fish safety ,and a bunch of technical tests I did not quite understand .Will be interesting to see if it ever hits the market .I did not understand why all the testing except that the original use of it was for fish breeding farms for consumption .I guess the want to provide the healthiest fish possible for people to eat and it starts with the liner and keeping water quality good .I never knew there was such large fish breeding farms like that .I guess they want to make more profit with less work .

Reaction score
My ledge goes down at least a foot and I did a 2 level kind of sloped edge into the pond, you can still see the liner on the bottom, but I believe it should get covered up with algae so it will look more natural.

you can see the ledge right (the large hole in the left is where I dug out a boulder)

View attachment 40874

i understand the clay you were talking about as I dug through it by hand here. it was easiest when it was wet, but I agree with your idea to get some heavy equipment to dig it out. where did you come across the stone so cheap? too bad brookfield is too far away for me, so do your parents live in WI and do you live in WA?

Here's link to the rock prices at Pine lake materials, they have two location's, so two price lists. I couldn't believe the STEAL the rocks were. After getting quoted 100-200/ ton, to find rocks 8-50/ ton was amazing. And delivery is only like 9$ even though i'm as far out as they go!!!!http://pinelakematerials.com/Documents/2011 PINE LAKE PRICE BROCHURE.pdf

I currently live in VA...but I"m moving home in June unless i find my dream job or dream man! ;)

Ask a Question