Hello from Wisconsin: I hope to turn my giant hole in the yard into a pond.

Reaction score
Hello from Wisconsin. I live on a farm and we have some old farm ponds that need some work and upkeep. I think at one time they were trout and duck ponds. Also, when we bought the place we dug a hole for a future pond closer to the house and the time has come to think about the next steps. I found a regional lake and pond management consultant in my area, Cason & Associates, LLC, actually they came through a recommendation of one of the farmers around us who had used them for fish stock and other services. Anyways, we have a good idea of what is needed...but of course the wife wants something special, so we are looking into a "natural swimming pool" concept, but no matter what, we are going to need a pond liner.​

Looking around the possibilities are endless, but I think I am going to purchase my pond liner and some of the supplies from Boggy Creek Pond Supply. We have used them for some misc items in the past, they have a great pond liner and installation guide and water body calculator on the site also.​

I am going to try to take some fresh pictures of the project in the current state (and also some pics of what we envision the end project to look like).​

I am open to any hints or suggestions about working with pond liners and also looking for other members who have worked with turning or using a pond as a "natural swimming pool" or if anyone uses another forums or members experienced with the natural swimming pool concept, that is ideally the way we want to go.​

Thank you!​

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Jay S and welcome to Garden Pond Forums.

I have removed your links as advertising your services (or the services of your clients) is not permitted. However if you are here to seek advice on your pond, then we look forward to hearing more about your project :)

Reaction score
Some people look at it as advertising, some as networking. I tried to find terms of understanding and did not specifically see it forbidden or I would not have done it, I looked again and if I missed it sorry. Clients, links, friends, family or what not, that is my pond situation at the moment. I admin and moderate forums also, so understand where you are coming from and would hope that our traffic, conversations, information and links we be accepted at some point, back with pictures later....it is a nice day in Wisconsin and most of the snow is out, should make a somewhat good picture of the project.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome jay and if you trust them and know they are going to guide you the right way why not use them ,they know you and you know them and you thrust them go with your instincts .I can't wait to see the farm ponds as they have a lot of them around here .

Reaction score
welcome jay and if you trust them and know they are going to guide you the right way why not use them ,they know you and you know them and you thrust them go with your instincts .I can't wait to see the farm ponds as they have a lot of them around here .

Thanks, the liner will be huge and by no means a one man job.

I will try to find some pics of the farm ponds also; I see you have a photo contests on the forum, awesome!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to put my liner in and I laid it out on the lawn in the sun to make it more flexible and also get the wrinkles out .If it is going to be big you may need a lot of people to make sure you get it in and don't end up fighting with it .I know I got under mine to get it in by myself and no easy task .Trying to get out from under that thing would have been a winner for America's Funniest Home Video's They are really heavy and unforgiving ,they become beasts .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Jay, Love to see some pics! Once you have been on this site a while you'll begin to see how much nicer a site it is not having all the advertisements and associated links. They can be forwarded as PM's if someone is interested and if in question please feel free to ask if anyone has heard of the people you plan on using. Most of the folks here seem to more about helping each other and not selling. I've found that forums that do allow seem to be much more controversial and competitive. here the forum seems to be more relaxed and actually faster and better traded info than many I frequent. i would love to see more and hear more about your farm and projects. I'm in the process of buying a small farm as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome6.gif
Jay

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Jay

WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

I use ppl36 liner, it does not get slick like the epdm rubber does. That might make it a better choice for a natural swimming pool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Jay! and sissy do you have pic's of you and fighting your liner? I bet that was hilarious and a serious undertaking! I would have been laughing at myself the whole time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry my son did not buy my digital camera until after i was done .I finished the pond in April and my birthday is in July .He got it because I'm a pic nut .I always broke cameras so was afraid to spend the money on one and afraid it may be to hard to figure out gosh was i wrong .Now I love it ,but have to empty my puter of all the pics

Ask a Question