Hello, newbie wanting to reinstate pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new to this forum and new to pond life. We have a pond in our back garden which was installed and had Koi carp in by the previous owner. It's roughly 5m x 3m footprint and 4 feet deep. When we moved in they had taken the fish bar a few gold fish and as we had a 2 year old I gave the fish away and drained it as we were worried for her safety.

Our intention was to fill it in at some point but now our little girl is a bit older and more aware we're thinking of reinstating it and getting some fish. Though I'm going to look at getting some safety netting to cover just in case! What I'd like to know is is there any advice as to how to reinstate it? There has always been a few inch of water in the bottom that I couldn't get out due to the pump not being able to get it, and I had to pump it out again after the winter had filled it back up so I'm pretty sure it's still water tight. The lining still looks ok though dirty and there's lots of insects and sludge in the bottom, as well as some newts, where the remaining water is. What's the best way to clean? Can I just dredge it with the net? How far do I need to go with cleaning? Everything is still there, the pumps and filters, and just need a good clean out I believe.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'll be on here plenty reading and asking advice and hopefully helping out in time.
Thanks
Stu

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
For sure try the net first, teach you're child to respect the pond and they'll get along fine. Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and a swimming pool net is the easiest to use and they come in all sizes and shapes

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Is the liner still soft or has it hardened being exposed all this time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your replies, no it's still flexible so hasn't gone hard so hopefully that's ok still. I found 1 newt so assuming there'll be more in there, do I need to take them out before putting fish in. Once I've sorted it out or are they ok to leave in?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have newts so no clue if fish eat them or not, or they eat fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

Please be aware that Great Crested Newts are a protected species, and therefore protected by law.
See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/great-crested-newts-protection-surveys-and-licences for more info.

http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/wildlife/amphibians/newts.aspx can help identify which species of newt you have.

Please lets have some photos, we all love looking at each others ponds, and a garden pond is a great way to get your daughter interested in the natural world around her.
Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new to this forum and new to pond life. We have a pond in our back garden which was installed and had Koi carp in by the previous owner. It's roughly 5m x 3m footprint and 4 feet deep. When we moved in they had taken the fish bar a few gold fish and as we had a 2 year old I gave the fish away and drained it as we were worried for her safety.

Our intention was to fill it in at some point but now our little girl is a bit older and more aware we're thinking of reinstating it and getting some fish. Though I'm going to look at getting some safety netting to cover just in case! What I'd like to know is is there any advice as to how to reinstate it? There has always been a few inch of water in the bottom that I couldn't get out due to the pump not being able to get it, and I had to pump it out again after the winter had filled it back up so I'm pretty sure it's still water tight. The lining still looks ok though dirty and there's lots of insects and sludge in the bottom, as well as some newts, where the remaining water is. What's the best way to clean? Can I just dredge it with the net? How far do I need to go with cleaning? Everything is still there, the pumps and filters, and just need a good clean out I believe.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'll be on here plenty reading and asking advice and hopefully helping out in time.
Thanks
Stu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see if you say how old your children are, but if less than 5-6 then leaving it empty is a good option, a net is no good, a child can fall into it and still be in the water. Better is a fence that they cannot get over or you can get water white plastic mesh to put just under the surface which is strong enough to support the weight of a child.

If you are going to restore it then the first thing to do is fiil it up an see if it leaks, if not bingo. If it does than the easiest repair is to thoroughly clean it out to remove anything sharp, and then, depending on size either put in a new liner, or line it with fibreglass. In either case leaving the old liner where it is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My little girl is 4 and my boy is nearly 8. I've ordered a safety net which covers the whole pond as I'd rather be safe than sorry, should be here in next day or so. Cleaned the liner out as best I could today, dredged as much as possible with a net and cleaned the filters out too. There's a UV filter which I can't tell if it works or not yet, think I need to do a bit of power cable tracing and testing on that. I've pumped out as much as possible from the pond before I start to refil it, started with hose pipe filling through filter system and looks like nice clean water coming out the end of it now. Will probably get it filled up and get pumps on tomorrow, has 2 pumps, one to filter and one used as a fountain by looks of things, both are still working fortunately.
Will I need to add anything to the water to make it safe for fish? And is there a waiting time for putting fish in after filling?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice so far, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and see if I can get them on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a new pond syndrome time. Once it is filled and sits for a bit, add a few fish, test your water, watch the ammonia levels. SLOWLY add more fish. There is a lot of info about new ponds, I don't have all the exact times locked in my brain, have not started a pond for a while now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So pics as promised, So finally got it all sorted, all cleaned, filters cleaned, uv lamp repaired, new uv tube fitted, put some Aqua balls in the filters and new safety net fitted, just need some fish now.
Thanks for all help and advice, much appreciated

Ask a Question