Help!! Fix my waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have changed my waterfall over the years. The algae has always been a problem. My grandson comes over and cleans it for me, a week later it looks horrible again. It's in full sun all day. Even with the tarp over it, it gets only a few hours of sun, but doesn't seem to slow the algae down. I need a new design. I need some ideas.
IMGP3982.JPG
IMG_20200611_140805.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think that is so nice that you have a grandson that comes over and does that for you. Mine are not quite old enough. Hope they will be willing to do something similar.

I'm losing them as they get older. It started out with the older one, than he grew up and started a family. This one is 15. So I still have a few years of him left :giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry to say the koi do not help your situation . looks like the pond its self is doing well but the algae on the fast flowing falls is your battle Yes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sorry to say the koi do not help your situation . looks like the pond its self is doing well but the algae on the fast flowing falls is your battle Yes?

Yes. It's been like that ever since we made it. I'm just tired of dealing with it. I just need some ideas of doing it a different way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The koi add alot of waste that creates the algae. Algae on the falls needs to be starved . the addition of plants plants and more plants can help. and adding an air stone can help some times plants like co2 if theres a lot of o2 then sometimes it's enough to make the algae suffer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes. It's been like that ever since we made it. I'm just tired of dealing with it. I just need some ideas of doing it a different way.
Hi Sunshine. Do you have a bio filter on your pond? I think the issue is there are too many nutrients in your pond. You need to give the algae competition. A good bio filter will starve the algae. My grandson helps me feed the fish but he is only 2. I need to train him to clean the pond!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, I'm of the opinion you're probably going to always have some string algae on your waterfall as there's no fish there to eat it. I get this buildup and have to periodically scrape it down. I can't easily reach my wfall so I run a pole over the stone and scrape the string algae loose. It falls into a pool net I have waiting below and all is well for a while. I've also just blasted the stone with a hose and that will work to get any heavy buildup. I think this is a case of putting up with some inconvenience for a waterfall's sake. I know some turn off the falls, spray on hydrogen peroxide, wait 30 minutes and then hose the wfall down. Doesn't hurt the fish or plants and it's relatively easy.

I have a large bog filter and multiple pumps, lots and lots of plants, and even the stone overwhich the bog pours has some algae buildup. I also had this happen when my bioload was low. Algae is a plant and it's in every natural water source. I doubt you could get the nutients low enough to completely stop this from happening.

So I think making this chore easier is the better course, as a waterfall is worth it., imo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Sunshine. Do you have a bio filter on your pond? I think the issue is there are too many nutrients in your pond. You need to give the algae competition. A good bio filter will starve the algae. My grandson helps me feed the fish but he is only 2. I need to train him to clean the pond!

That is the bio filter.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have you thought about changing the waterfall so that the water drops directly into the pond instead of on rocks?

Ask a Question