Help - Pond is too Shallow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have read several articles that it is possible but again a big risk should it not be absolutely perfectly done. I guess at the end of the day we are happy with this labor of love, it is 3’ in the dead center then about 20” for the rest of the pond. I just am kicking myself for not going deeper. My wife is already petrified that I might rip it up and start over and go deeper.
I have to chuckle....many of us have spouses that are terrified we'll go bigger - LOL !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not my wife she knows what to expect.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I get the goldfish the dang heron is still going to be an issue
We have a rookery to the west of us, the herons fly over our pond daily, look down keep going. I bought a wide weave net, 4 inch holes, hung it about 2ish feet over the water. Barely notice it, the herons know it is there, they look down at the ponds and keep flying.
Before the net I tried fishing line, fencing, gator heads etc. Nothing stopped them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
not even the mad prowlings of avian detector yorkies...it's sad....
lol our little yorkies can not be outside. We have owls, fox, hawks. The pups are hunters, they would get on a chase and be gone possibly forever. One mind set get that thing that is running. Even the deer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
bet you'd have less deer-stream damage though, if you let the hounds loose....;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bet you'd have less deer-stream damage though, if you let the hounds loose....;)
They run just from them barking at them, well they used to, now the deer are realizing the bark is no danger. They just look, even at us, ignore!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They run just from them barking at them, well they used to, now the deer are realizing the bark is no danger. They just look, even at us, ignore!
I know the feeling; prior to 15 years ago, I bet I saw ONE deer in 20 years here as there was enough woods surrounding (and I live in suburbia proper!). Then they built a bunch of houses and wiped out a whole swath of woods. Now, if I don't see deer daily, I'm surprised. And of course, in those first 20 years, I had NO garden damage. Now, I have to erect fences and spray regularly.

So, when I DO see any deer and they're in the yard, no amount of tapping/swinging my arms, cursing so the words penetrate glass, makes them move. I actually have to go out and practically chase them away, that's how confident they've become...sigh, it's a tragedy, I know. Makes me wish I HAD hounds to let loose...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shallow or deep, to me has more to do with the climate and whether your fish will freeze in the winter or boil in the summer. Here, boiling in the summer is what dictates a deeper pond (if not adequately shaded).

Ask a Question