Koi Pond design help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and to koi ponds! I have a pond I am designing and would like some help with a few things:

1. What is the quietest pump that would fit my pond? (7,500 gallons - head pressure of 6' - 2' wide waterfall)
2. How does my pond design look? Am I missing anything?
3. Is my filter big enough?

That's all for now!
Thanks

Attachments

• pond design.png
    pond design.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 88

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Not to chase you away from our forum, but with the set up you are considering you might get better advice from another forum called KOIPHEN.COM. We, here, are a group that mainly deals with simpler ponds, garden ponds, and not too much with BD’s (bottom drains), sieve filters etc. Our biggest recommendation is for bog-type filters, using plants as natural filtration. KOIPHEN.COM is dedicated to what we call DKP’s, or “dedicated koi ponds,” and most of the members their deal with systems like you show.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1614972757032.gif
@SuperFishFace
I only have used submersible pumps and they are underwater so no noise at all.
Looks like w/your design you will need an external so someone here will help you eventually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I second @Mmathis with the recommendation to try Koiphen with that design, however I will add - why that design? Are you planning a dedicated koi pond? (Fish and water only, no plants or rocks?) Or would you consider a garden pond for fish and plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like things much simpler, but there are some members here that have elaborate systems. I hope they can help you out.

I have a submersible pump. I don't hear it at all.

After over a decade of inadequate store bought and homemade filters, I added on a wetland bog filter. My water has never been this clear, ever. It was the best thing I have ever done for my pond and it's virtually maintenance free. I sold my two pressure filters and UV light. The bog is my only filtration.

All my plumbing is within the pond and bog. This way, if there's ever a leak, water cannot escape.

Here's my bog build:

I was inspired by member addy1 to build the bog. She has an extensive bog building showcase that is extremely informative.
Here it is:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While i am a fan of the bog as well, i would make a suggestion a circular design making a circular rotation in the pond. it may take two jets pushing the water if you can get the winds to blow across the pond that is the direction of circulation you'd want to have the water flow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with your design, mine is simple, ponds, bog for filtration, one external pump.

Ask a Question