Help with dead fish

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How are the rest of the fish acting? I would stop feeding for now until you find out what is happening. The pond is only 2 months old and that is a big fish load for a new pond. Any chance that someone has been doing any spraying any chemicals nearby?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ammonia can burn the gills, and nitrite can prevent the fish from taking up oxygen. But the numbers don't look high enough to cause that much damage that quickly, or to kill the fish in a few days time.

If you have Prime, it will bind the ammonia and nitrite and keep it from hurting the fish. But if your ammonia and nitrite are going up, there is something else going on. Your filtration isn't keeping up with the fish load, or for some reason the beneficial bacteria has taken a hit.

I don't know why the fish died so quickly after you first saw symptoms. What you describe would be, to me, more like flukes that are irritating the fish, not a bacterial infection. But flukes would also not kill them that fast.

If you go to Koiphen.com and ask there, you may find help there. Those are very knowledgeable folks who know much more about diseases than I ever will.

Best of luck with your other fish. So sorry this is happening.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1622220541707.gif
@Pjpondgirl
So sorry to hear about the loss of your fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks so much for help. All the fish are acting normal right now. I think I need to relocate some of my big comit goldfish. I started out with 2 I had won at a carnival years ago and seems like every year 2 or 3 of their offspring avoids being eaten and survives to adulthood. I ordered a microscope from Amazon to check for parasites to be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have a microscope , I'm interested in knowing how you like yours once you get it.

Ask a Question