Help with dead koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mass extinction of my 12 yr old kois in 12 yr old pond. Can anyone see something I am missing?

Attachments

• 53112.jpeg
    53112.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 53111.jpeg
    53111.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 53110.jpeg
    53110.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 269
  • 53109.jpeg
    53109.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 53108.jpeg
    53108.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 53107.jpeg
    53107.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 226
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh no! I am so sorry!

Can you tell us a bit more about your pond and set up - filtration, size of pond, how many fish, anything that may have changed, current weather, etc. Anything you can share may point the way to the answer to what happened.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tail fins look rather red, was that normal for your koi? Water conditions? Did you test the water? Any new fish, plants?
Sorry for the loss, and hopefully we can help you get to the cause. My first thought is either infection or ammonia spike based on the red look of the tails, but I’m no expert on koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was wondering about all the redness, too. Also, one of the fish seems to have a pretty pronounced notch in its nose. Has that always been there?

I would guess a bacterial infection, or perhaps possibily Costia or even KHV because of that notch.

Have you checked the gills of the dead fish?

I'm definitely no expert on diseases. Maybe someone who is much more knowledgeable than I am will come along to help.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1577481474250.gif
@PaulS19

That's what I noticed too, the red streaks. Sorry for your horrible loss. Sometimes the bigger fish die first due to needing more oxygen and if pond is somehow low in oxygen that could be the result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry for the loss of your koi :( I'm guessing a bacterial infection from the condition of the fish in these pictures. As other's said, more information will help us help you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group.

Post some info about your pond and do water tests so we can help you. Post the results. The liquid tests are more accurate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not that this is going to solve anything.

But If you test your water and everything is fine. And If you haven’t had any lawn chemicals or foreign substance accidentally introduced into the pond. No rapid changes in weather.
Then the only way to tell is to have a lab or someone look at, take blood, (not sure of blood can be checked after dead) and dissect.

I just watch a video of something similar. Girl had like 20 of some kind of fancy gold fish she was breeding. The all got sick. Showed signs of dropsy. Such as raised scales.
she sent 4 of the worst ones still live to a lab. They took samples and dissected them.
Even with all there equipment all the could tell her was. They showed signs of kidney failure. They had hardened Nodules all over their Kidneys. The nodules were from its immune system fighting something. Either bacteria or parasite encasing it to stop it. Which lead to fluid retention causing the scales to pop out and be inflamed.

So after all that they sent her a letter stating they couldn’t tell exactly what caused there death. But explained what they found and the it was either a parasite or bacteria. But could not tell what kind. And have her no definitive answer.

I found the video.

She is a pretty experienced breeder with gold fish. Her YouTube channel is pretty good. She has a shit ton of fish and pets

Fish are fish diseases are the same koi goldfish all types of carp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry for the loss after 12 years is never easy to loose a pet / family. I wonder if you haven't told us in your state,ment what the problem was. You said that there are 5 month old koi in the pond and they are all fine. Unfortunately the large fish will be the first to go when there is a lack of o2 .. i imagine you have a healthy set up but did something change in shutting down for winter did you switch to a heater element over air or vise versa?

Reaction score
Country
United States
gonna try to help, did you add any fish- plants to your pond? a close up of the fish will help. knowing which state you live in will help.do you test the water????at first look it looks like nitrate got it. or ammonia. or both but could be a disease. so first catch a fish. swab it with a glass slide then hit the microscope fast... this will tell if you got anything crawling around...were the fish flashing or staying on bottom by falls? jumping? or on top breathing air? if you can answer these i might be able to help .. sorry about the loss.mike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tail fins look rather red, was that normal for your koi? Water conditions? Did you test the water? Any new fish, plants?
Sorry for the loss, and hopefully we can help you get to the cause. My first thought is either infection or ammonia spike based on the red look of the tails, but I’m no expert on koi.
Red leg in frogs is deadly, usually occurs during winter. Its BD virus usually transfers from bullfrogs.

Ask a Question