Help with dead koi

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss! Agree that we need lots more information about your pond. It is odd that all of your fish would die suddenly, after such a long time, but it’s impossible to give advice without any facts to go on.

Reaction score
4 other fish in pond about 5 months old fine. Very sad.
I am in nw NJ, also have a pond 12+ yrs. My koi were same age, over 12in. 6 koi + 16 goldfish. 4 koi died 2wks ago, all goldfish are fine. The pond is approx. 750gal. 28in deep, Was cleaning out leaves when I found the 2 largest koi on the bottom. Over the summer, they had eaten a large waterlilly but nothing else unusual. Do not know why, after these years , they died.

Reaction score
Country
United States
sorry to hear this; it could be a thousand things, ill try to narrow it down the best i can. do you test the water on a regular basis? if so whats the readings? did you add water? its cold here whats the temp there.eating or pulling up a lilly wont kill fish . did you notice the fish at the water falls and wont budge? did you notice fish flashing? do you feed ? do you stop feeding when water temps reach 50 ?is or was the pond covered in ice before you saw this?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
750 gallon is too small for koi. They have grown over the years and probably outgrown your filtration. If you test your pond water, can you post results?

Reaction score
Country
United States
the post above is true, if the water was tested on a regular basis this would tell you fast. it does sound like a HEAVY load. but you never know , unless you test. if the water was good it will narrow it down.

Ask a Question