here goes first pond test in new pond

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK, I admit, I've now watched the video in it's entirety twice. Love your fishy's BTW and the whole project is really coming along very nice. My one concern is the DYI filter, to the water fall. I heard you mention in the video that it's not done but wanted to get it up and running for added oxygen. I'm assuming this is new for this pond as well? If so that's probably why your going through a kind of new pond cycle. that's perfectly ok. But my concern is the output from the filter box. Is the box sitting on additional liner so that the water HAS to go back in the pond if it happens to go behind the top rock? I'm worried that a storm, animal visitor, etc might cause the top rock to shift, can it empty the pond? #1, make sure your pumps are sitting on a shelf or at least in some way not in the deepest part of the pond so "IF" Mr. Murphy pays a visit and the worse happens and it drains the pond there will still be water left in the bottom of the pond and the pumps won't suck it all the way down. second, you might want to add a elbow and down pipe then another elbow from the filter. This would help direct water over the top rock and not directly splashing down on the first rock. This is going to cause additional evaporation and it again "COULD" turn into a issue if the rock moved and the water splashed out away for the pond and liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
fishin yes my pump is on the second level from the 4' level (4' round circle section at the bottom just in case something should happen). The makeshift waterfall does have the liner up under it and all is raised on the sides just in case and to keep the waterflow going towards the pond. I made sure the top rock the water is flowing on will not move and it is braced with the rocks below it. I have character bolders to move in there and completely redo this makeshift waterfall but cant move them from my other house to here yet...and yes the waterfall and pond is all new. I do have a pipe for the filter but just haven't put it on yet as it's for the weir...although I could rig something up like you stated. I did make sure though that all the water is directed into the pond and that no water can escape under or around. Even the splash that occurs from the top rock stays within the area I made. I've been patroling the area making sure.
So far I only feed the fish about once every two days and boy are they hungry because I dont let them have much and only throw about 5-8 pellets at a time to make sure they eat everything. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh I do plan on making a bog for this too but probably wont be until next spring as fall is heading our way here. Thats why I just placed the filter where I did and made a makeshift waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also I did let a few hyacinths escape since I know the fish like to munch on the roots and that there isn't really any "food" for them to munch on...should I let the hyacinths that I let out just float around or put them back into the ring I made? Was just thinking whether I should let the fish eat at these or not and if that in itself would hinder the pond process or change the readings on tests if the fish munch on the roots? Sitting here thinking I know the mosquitos are still around and am betting the fish will have something to munch on afterall with larve. Next year I know I'll be adding alot more plants to the water for coverage

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw the weather last night and was amazed the storms and heat up that way compared to here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been hot here this week for sure, and last week was only in the mid to upper 80's with a coupld low 90's but this week mid to upper 90's. No measureable rain since about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have babies! Daughter just called (my first pond is at her now house where we lived) to tell me that I needed to get over there cuz she saw baby fishies in the lil pond after her fiance thought he saw tadpoles and to bring back some of my lotus/hyacinths for shade. Yup I saw at least 4 lil ones swimming (or should I say darting)) around the pond. Told her to make a trip to the "big" city 40 miles away and get another bubbler since I need the ones I have for the big new pond. Oh jesh I never saw any of them when we moved the big fish over! So kewl!!

Ask a Question