HE'S BACK!

H

humbirdlover

It's a shame we go to all the work to have our ponds and fish, only to have to build all this stuff over it to protect it. I realize it's part of nature, but geez...I have fought deer for years, all kinds of products, home made and other wise. Fencing, the whole sheebang, and they still get the plants, especially hostas. When I mow, I actually see where they bed down under our trees. We have National Forest all around us, why do they need my flowers? LOL Nothing can ruin the looks of a flower bed than black deer fencing :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did notice right in the middle some holes in this web, like something had crash landed so if one were to make this I guess it should be pretty strong.

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's a shame we go to all the work to have our ponds and fish, only to have to build all this stuff over it to protect it. I realize it's part of nature, but geez...I have fought deer for years, all kinds of products, home made and other wise. Fencing, the whole sheebang, and they still get the plants, especially hostas. When I mow, I actually see where they bed down under our trees. We have National Forest all around us, why do they need my flowers? LOL Nothing can ruin the looks of a flower bed than black deer fencing :(

We have tons of deer, they leave my plants alone. I planted a bunch of deer resistant plants mixed in with deer loving plants. They don't even touch the hostas. I have not tried at all to protect the plants, no way I really can, too many lol. They eat apples right next to the hostas.

The chicken wire fencing is darn ugly it was a emergency fix. I think with fishing line with weaving a net, tieing the squares together it won't be able to push the lines apart like it did before. And it won't be that bad a lot less bad then the fencing. I would try to exist with the heron, but they are know to fish a pond dry and the dumb fish would probably swim right up to it. I have maybe 15 dollars into the fish, but they do depend on me to take care of them.

Well you build it, they come............we supplied the deer a salad bar, the birds a sushi bar, the ground hogs have their snack bar.........can't really blame them.

I put enough plants in if they nibble don't really notice, but have not seen any damage, except the veggie garden the groundhog loved the tomatoes. So up went a hot wire now I just toss out any bad ones for it to eat.

H

humbirdlover

Hubby put up an electric fence around our veggie garden, we have the ground hogs, racoons, skunks the whole Noah's Ark here, too. I love feeding my birds, humbirds and songbirds. Love our Cardinals, etc. and I love watching the deer, just don't like it when the eat the hosta's and lilies :(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The cardinals are so pretty in the winter, bright red against the snow. I feed them constantly mainly sunflower seeds in the winter. Peanut butter mix for the squirrels and wood peckers in the winter.

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
All you need now is a couple miles of 100 # test mono a 1000 ' 1 1/2 " conduit 6 amigos 3 days whala perfection ,any body who ever tried to make anything fool proof , better check on the capibilities of the fool he's trying to out fool ! That fool has more time to work on it than you do, and it does't cost him a dime ,but GOOD LUCK ,have fun ,we will be watching and enjoying the chalenge of wits!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol the heron is darn smart and persistent. I am just hoping to make something that can just stay up all of the time, real pain to uncover every time you need to work on it. And I can't even get the darn fencing off.

I will post success or failure, hoping for success.

H

humbirdlover

My money is on you addy..I have seen what you can accomplish, and ain't no heron alive gonna get the best of you :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My money is on you addy..I have seen what you can accomplish, and ain't no heron alive gonna get the best of you :)

aww thanks! So far we have lost 3 fish (that I know of) to herons, one to the green heron and two to the gbh (last summer) If it would just nibble and move on, I have enough fish it would be ok, but they don't do that. They find a pond with fish and move in, camp out and set up house keeping. Their object is to clean the pond!

If our pond was on flat land it would be easier to keep it covered and uncover. But with our slope the uphill side is 4 feet down, it is not easy for me to walk that slope and yank fencing or any covering off. And my honey worries about me hurting my self. I have more than once almost done headers down the upslope side into the pond trying to remove even just the deer fencing. So I need to make it safer for myself to work on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chicken wire fencing is staying up!

A face that mom can love!

If you are into sitting and watching a heron stalk the rosey reds enjoy! It is fascinating as to how slow they move, very very slow

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
A 12 gage increases there stalk time immensely,It becomes a blurr ,They see all they want to in just seconds!! { you can be the BUG or The WINDSHIELD} LOL Great Video ,the suspense MUST BE CHILLING when it's you prized fish he's consuming !! Personally I perfer being a WINDSHEILD !!! I'd give that rascal a real wild Life Adventure !!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sucker is leaving the pond fish alone..............thankfully. He walked right by the pond totally ignoring it. There where a few small gold goldfish in the lotus tub, small gold ones, a bunch of rosey reds..........tons in fact and some frogs.

We would be shooting down into the pond from the house, still refuse to patch holes. With time and effort will win this battle, well might win this battle lol.I don't have prize fish, but do like the ones I have.

And so many herons here would need to kill them constantly just refuse to do so. We do shoot bird shot into the air to scare it away.

I like to watch to learn its methods of hunting so we can learn how to defeat it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Man addy I watched both those vids of him hunting and saw him only catch one little fish...............no wonder he's so skinny :razz:
I think those Rosey Reds are wise to him!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I admire people ,with firm principles and beliefs ,were I of like mind ,I'D get some loader to make me a box shells w/ shot out and cotton wads in and have some fun with my pump shot gun ,no harm no{ fowl} and at least I would feel better !!! and have some fun for all the work and expense !! The devil made me say it!

Good luck My very Best! Carl

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Man addy I watched both those vids of him hunting and saw him only catch one little fish...............no wonder he's so skinny :razz:
I think those Rosey Reds are wise to him!

We watched it miss a lot of times, just saw the one nibble.

I admire people ,with firm principles and beliefs ,were I of like mind ,I'D get some loader to make me a box shells w/ shot out and cotton wads in and have some fun with my pump shot gun ,no harm no{ fowl} and at least I would feel better !!! and have some fun for all the work and expense !! The devil made me say it!

Good luck My very Best! Carl

I am tempted, so far I have not been able to sneak outside to even get a shot at it, and it would need to be a wad or something that could not hurt the bird.

Ask a Question