addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the second trip, first was this am, just walked behind the bog then left.

This time up the hill and walked back and forth along the chicken wire. The cameras alerted, I looked up and here it came up the bog hill from the back field.

Rainy cold day! shooting the pictures through our windows. I watched it walk up and down the fence line over and over.

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

I give up.......... or it saw me lol

IMG_3054.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would not be able to take off with out a push off, in watching the bird it squats and then jumps to get going. There is only one area it could stand in the pond and be able to take off and I have that area criss crossed with fishing line. But you never know. I am sure it will be back, will see what it tries next.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you have to admit they are a pretty bird and he was probably pissed leaving without a full belly

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have to admit they are a pretty bird and he was probably pissed leaving without a full belly

Very pretty, it won't get shot, I will just do what I need to for fish protection. If there is one there are more.......... I did make it deep just for that reason, no shelves, well the bog shelf, but it is 2 feet down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
meant to ask how are your adopted fish doing
We lost the egg bound ones, and the real bloated orange one. ow fine None of the original pond fish have passed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well at least you tried and it's a shame when ponds are left go through no fault of the owner .I guess thats why I worry about mine if something happens to me .Make a will out that includes my fish LOL

Reaction score
Herons are protected here, are they where you are? My local Koi farm [2 miles away] went out of business because they ravaged their stocks, It didn't matter what they did the herons got through somehow but the authorities wouldn't allow then to cull any.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
According to web sites yes they are. I wouldn't kill it anyways.

"You can’t lawfully kill a heron. The fine can be as much as $10,000
Herons do not land on the water and often feed from the side of the pond. Make pond-side as uncomfortable to the heron as possible. Their toes are meant to navigate muddy lake bottoms. They don’t walk easily on loose gravel or tiny rocks nor are they capable of navigating slippery rocks. Create your own heron "moat" around the pond. "

The bird did a header into the pond when it tried to stand on the bog wall rocks, they shifted and it went in head first.

It was fun to watch it on the recording falling.

Ask a Question