Pond cleanup and dragonflies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How drastically does a spring cleanup of bottom silt reduce dragonfly productivity. My pond hasn't been cleaned in ~ 5years and has got a lot of suspended silt this spring. It did have a lot of dragonflies lat year, however, and the goldfish seem fine.
David - Dallas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How drastically does a spring cleanup of bottom silt reduce dragonfly productivity. My pond hasn't been cleaned in ~ 5years and has got a lot of suspended silt this spring. It did have a lot of dragonflies lat year, however, and the goldfish seem fine.
David - Dallas
Sorry to say i don't know how dragon fly nymph do down there

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I noticed they‘re just starting to lay eggs in my pond over the last couple week. So with your being a bit north of me they may not have started lay eggs there yet. In my experience the nymphs tend to crawl around and hide on the stems of aquatic vegetation more than on or in the sediment. So even if they have started laying you’re probably good to clean the bottom out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
“ There are some species of Odonates that live for five to seven years in the nymph stage, while others’ life cycles will complete in a single season”. I suppose this variation is species dependent. I don’t know which species live in Dallas, Texas.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
“ There are some species of Odonates that live for five to seven years in the nymph stage, while others’ life cycles will complete in a single season”. I suppose this variation is species dependent. I don’t know which species live in Dallas, Texas.
I completely forgot about the length of nymph stage between species. I’ll have to try’n find some identification keys to see what the species are around me. I have had blue dashers laying lately. I’ve had green darners lay in past year. The most common species here has green females and blue males, the name has slipped my mind (edited to add: eastern pond hawk) but I’ll find it. We also get another one or two in town that are orange-red that I recall being migratory.

Last edited:

Ask a Question