Hi and hope you can offer some advice.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi this is in response to GBBud who was upset I went quiet and didn't follow up on my post and results. Well finall completed on Boxing day. The project has taken me a year near enought to do. So the indoor courtyard is done. See pics. The outdoor bog filter is now to start and with the luck I am having finding the river stone is also likely to take yet another year. I hope you all enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• 20211227_084453.jpg
    20211227_084453.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211227_084414.jpg
    20211227_084414.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211226_185541.jpg
    20211226_185541.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211226_190134.jpg
    20211226_190134.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i remember correctly you were not the handiest of guys . though were not affraid to give it a try. well you hit a grand slam Look fantastic nicely done. We have people all the time looking to do the looking glass windows and you have certainly taken that to the extreme. would you share the specs on your build the size of the pond depth and thickness of the glass and it's size what you did to make the seal and the supports. And well done you did your hotel right im sure you have folks sitting there all the time watching the fish .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi this is in response to GBBud who was upset I went quiet and didn't follow up on my post and results. Well finall completed on Boxing day. The project has taken me a year near enought to do. So the indoor courtyard is done. See pics. The outdoor bog filter is now to start and with the luck I am having finding the river stone is also likely to take yet another year. I hope you all enjoy the pics.
Fantastic!!! Like GB said, more spec will be perfect.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
If i remember correctly you were not the handiest of guys . though were not affraid to give it a try. well you hit a grand slam Look fantastic nicely done. We have people all the time looking to do the looking glass windows and you have certainly taken that to the extreme. would you share the specs on your build the size of the pond depth and thickness of the glass and it's size what you did to make the seal and the supports. And well done you did your hotel right im sure you have folks sitting there all the time watching the fish .
Hi and many thanks for the comment. I am actually very pleased with the finished result although as you said I am not the handiest of chaps. YouTube was a great help as were you guys however it still took me almost a year to do.
The pond is 14 feet long, 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep.
The wall above ground is about 1.5feet tall. The majority of the water is below ground.
The surrounding brick work is supported by 10mm re bar every 18 inches or so drilled about 14 inches down into the below ground concrete.
Then plastered inside and out.
Next job was to cut out the recesses for the windows, 2 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep with an angle grinder.
The fibreglassing was a real pain and I would not recommend anyone who has not done this before to even contemplate doing your self. It is NOT as easy as it looks on YouTube.
The resin gets on your gloves and the glass mat gets stuck to everything, all over the gloves and is not so straight forward to apply plus it is a race against time before the resin goes off. First was to resin the walls and floor, then apply the glass matt. Then more resin to wet it in. The next day lightly sand and apply more resin. Then a layer of fine tissue glass. Adding more resin to wet it in. Then came the night mare. The flow coat! I live in the highlands of Malaysia about 1300 meters ASL, we are in the clouds a lot of the time so it is around 18 degrees C during the day and can be very damp and misty. This is quite cool for a tropical country. Well the flow coat would not go off it was sticky to tacky even after 3-4 days. I had to acetone wash it all off, re sand and reapply, this is not fun. This was done 6 times in total. The supplier was useless because they had not supplied to a cold place before and could not give me a solution to get it to go off, it was costly and very time, consuming. In the end for the final attempt I contacted a guy in the UK who suggested that I mixed the flow coat 70/30 with some normal resin and added 3% extra accelerator, brilliant, someone who seemed to know something. We had to work fast, but between myself and my son we got it on in record time. The great news was it all went off rock solid in 20 mins, what a relief.
The outside was then tiled, for you guys maybe normal, for me was my first time. I was stressed.
The windows are tempered glass 20 mm thick, I know some would say not enough thick but I partially followed the advice of a local aquarium guy who said actually 12mm was enough but we went extra a bit.
The windows are fixed into the recesses with Sikaflex 291i marine grade PU sealant. I went with PU because I read that it was stronger and longer lasting than silicone. I used about 15 tubes on each window, this was to ensure they were solid, didn't leak and to fill all the bumps because I didn't get the recesses as flat as they should have been. The windows were held in place with 2 of those glass panel sucker carriers, a plank and ratchet straps for 24 hours.
As the window is under 1.5 feet high and the water itself is less than that there is little pressure against it and the bulk of the total water pressure is under the windows, underground against the concrete walls. There is no bow in the glass and feels very rigid with no movement, flex or give at all. Then it was a matter of getting water in and leaving it to settle and harden off.
If you have read this far I hope this helps, if you need to know anything else please ask I am no expert but am willing to share what went right and what went wrong. I know is difficult finding information because when I built this I searched everywhere for advice. So I am also willing to share. Let me repeat though I am no expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Simply Stunning. Thank you for sharing how you did it, as I am sure many other people will appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and many thanks for the comment. I am actually very pleased with the finished result although as you said I am not the handiest of chaps. YouTube was a great help as were you guys however it still took me almost a year to do.
The pond is 14 feet long, 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep.
The wall above ground is about 1.5feet tall. The majority of the water is below ground.
The surrounding brick work is supported by 10mm re bar every 18 inches or so drilled about 14 inches down into the below ground concrete.
Then plastered inside and out.
Next job was to cut out the recesses for the windows, 2 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep with an angle grinder.
The fibreglassing was a real pain and I would not recommend anyone who has not done this before to even contemplate doing your self. It is NOT as easy as it looks on YouTube.
The resin gets on your gloves and the glass mat gets stuck to everything, all over the gloves and is not so straight forward to apply plus it is a race against time before the resin goes off. First was to resin the walls and floor, then apply the glass matt. Then more resin to wet it in. The next day lightly sand and apply more resin. Then a layer of fine tissue glass. Adding more resin to wet it in. Then came the night mare. The flow coat! I live in the highlands of Malaysia about 1300 meters ASL, we are in the clouds a lot of the time so it is around 18 degrees C during the day and can be very damp and misty. This is quite cool for a tropical country. Well the flow coat would not go off it was sticky to tacky even after 3-4 days. I had to acetone wash it all off, re sand and reapply, this is not fun. This was done 6 times in total. The supplier was useless because they had not supplied to a cold place before and could not give me a solution to get it to go off, it was costly and very time, consuming. In the end for the final attempt I contacted a guy in the UK who suggested that I mixed the flow coat 70/30 with some normal resin and added 3% extra accelerator, brilliant, someone who seemed to know something. We had to work fast, but between myself and my son we got it on in record time. The great news was it all went off rock solid in 20 mins, what a relief.
The outside was then tiled, for you guys maybe normal, for me was my first time. I was stressed.
The windows are tempered glass 20 mm thick, I know some would say not enough thick but I partially followed the advice of a local aquarium guy who said actually 12mm was enough but we went extra a bit.
The windows are fixed into the recesses with Sikaflex 291i marine grade PU sealant. I went with PU because I read that it was stronger and longer lasting than silicone. I used about 15 tubes on each window, this was to ensure they were solid, didn't leak and to fill all the bumps because I didn't get the recesses as flat as they should have been. The windows were held in place with 2 of those glass panel sucker carriers, a plank and ratchet straps for 24 hours.
As the window is under 1.5 feet high and the water itself is less than that there is little pressure against it and the bulk of the total water pressure is under the windows, underground against the concrete walls. There is no bow in the glass and feels very rigid with no movement, flex or give at all. Then it was a matter of getting water in and leaving it to settle and harden off.
If you have read this far I hope this helps, if you need to know anything else please ask I am no expert but am willing to share what went right and what went wrong. I know is difficult finding information because when I built this I searched everywhere for advice. So I am also willing to share. Let me repeat though I am no expert.
yep, super useful; I'd even consider making this a sticky AFTER some time has passed and you find out if there's any issues down the road, which I sincerely hope you don't! It looks amazing and it's quite a personal feat! You're to be congratulated for both your perseverence and willingness to learn and try something new. Not everyone would have kept at it the way you did!

And hard to imagine there's no bowing with such a long piece of glass, so monitor as time passes. You can take a string and stretch it taut, one end to the other and see if the middle of your glass deviates at all. Easy, quick to do. I DO, however, love the look of it! Would have thought you'd need some sort of reinforcement across the top and even a cross brace, but again, time will tell! I bet getting that glass in place was a heavy job!

The largest concern will be how it does with varying seasons, temps, precip, etc. What are your winters like? Any chance of frost/snow/sub-freezing temps? That's where issues might arise. I wonder too about expansion if you get any real hot temps but on a mountain, I bet you don't have that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wowser that is fantastic! What a great job you have accomplished! Love it!

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
yep, super useful; I'd even consider making this a sticky AFTER some time has passed and you find out if there's any issues down the road, which I sincerely hope you don't! It looks amazing and it's quite a personal feat! You're to be congratulated for both your perseverence and willingness to learn and try something new. Not everyone would have kept at it the way you did!

And hard to imagine there's no bowing with such a long piece of glass, so monitor as time passes. You can take a string and stretch it taut, one end to the other and see if the middle of your glass deviates at all. Easy, quick to do. I DO, however, love the look of it! Would have thought you'd need some sort of reinforcement across the top and even a cross brace, but again, time will tell! I bet getting that glass in place was a heavy job!

The largest concern will be how it does with varying seasons, temps, precip, etc. What are your winters like? Any chance of frost/snow/sub-freezing temps? That's where issues might arise. I wonder too about expansion if you get any real hot temps but on a mountain, I bet you don't have that.
Hi thanks for your comments, I will check with the string as you suggest and get a pic. No our average lowest temps for the winter are around 12-15 degrees C. So the variation is minimal temp wise. But rain we get lots especially this time of the year because is the monsoon season.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I have to say also the actual pond was finished sometime back in October but the surrounding garden was not even started. It has taken until boxing day 26 December to get it finally finished. Moving 10ton of topsoil and 5 ton of sand is not fun. For a non gardening old guyhaha. Plus the remoteness of where we live doesn't help trying to get stuff delivered is an expensive issue. It is a 5 hour round trip driving time only, to the nearest garden center to get plants. The biggest for the garden was the drainage so many pipes were laid and the old tiles removed.

Attachments

• 20211017_144838.jpg
    20211017_144838.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi thanks for your comments, I will check with the string as you suggest and get a pic. No our average lowest temps for the winter are around 12-15 degrees C. So the variation is minimal temp wise. But rain we get lots especially this time of the year because is the monsoon season.
having little temp fluctuation will really help. Rain shouldn't be an issue if your pond foundation is solid, as in water can't do much damage to it. The rain might influence water quality as it's typically more acidic in nature. If you get that much and it's a concern, take readings periodically and monitor. You want pH stable and a lot of that is determined by the KH, which affects your pond's ability to handle pH changes. Plants help too. If you haven't, do take readings of your source water so you know where you're starting from.

And you THINK you're done, but a lot of us know a pond is never really DONE; you're always tweaking and enhancing but that keeps the hobby alive, imo! Looks great! Keep us in the loop as we love to see others have success with their ponds, esp via pictures!!

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Thanks, yes I agree I have had a koi pond for many, many years, however this is the first that I have actually built myself haha. My outside pond is the bigger challenge and the biggest I have ever had.

Ask a Question