Hi and hope you can offer some advice.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hahaha we will try our best. Once my courtyard pond is finally finished I will post pics. We are raising the height to increase depth, then putting veiwing windows around it. It isn't much to raise it only about 2feet but for me I have had to learn to lay bricks, plaster cement, and fibreglass. Then someone will come and install the windows.

Attachments

• 20201221_200957.jpg
    20201221_200957.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 140091
Thank you, but now not so nice. Another month should be close. I am retired and do a bit each day haha. Not as young as I would like to be.
you're going to have problems with your new wall if all you have is 4" of plastered brick. Brick are designed for compression, NOT sheer strength, which is what your water is going to exert on that wall. Minimum wall thickness, imo, should be 8", solidly filled concrete blocks with wire between courses and/or rebar every other hole. You want this wall to be unified.

There's also much engineering involved with putting in viewing windows; you're going to need something like a frame to hold each, and the thickness has to be calculated to again, withstand the force of the water. You don't want to have a collapse.

And to respond to the pea gravel/white stone you pictured; you want ONLY round edged stone because it will not compact. It will remain open between stones, as long as you don't force large organics up through that might clog between the stones. Do NOT use those white stones, you will be sorry very much sooner than later. Ever try digging sharp edged stone, which you'll have to do to fix the future problem of clogged bog stone? Especially when it's settled/compacted with debris? Sorry isn't even close to that experience.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
you're going to have problems with your new wall if all you have is 4" of plastered brick. Brick are designed for compression, NOT sheer strength, which is what your water is going to exert on that wall. Minimum wall thickness, imo, should be 8", solidly filled concrete blocks with wire between courses and/or rebar every other hole. You want this wall to be unified.

There's also much engineering involved with putting in viewing windows; you're going to need something like a frame to hold each, and the thickness has to be calculated to again, withstand the force of the water. You don't want to have a collapse.

And to respond to the pea gravel/white stone you pictured; you want ONLY round edged stone because it will not compact. It will remain open between stones, as long as you don't force large organics up through that might clog between the stones. Do NOT use those white stones, you will be sorry very much sooner than later. Ever try digging sharp edged stone, which you'll have to do to fix the future problem of clogged bog stone? Especially when it's settled/compacted with debris? Sorry isn't even close to that experience.
Many thanks for your input, as for the stones yes someone has already pointed out the need for round stones. Now I am trying to source here.
As for the other pond yes I was advised by other 2 guys one that has a plywood pond deeper than mine lined with fibreglass and another had a brick pond lined with fibreglass. Both suggested that as I am not raising the height very high and I will also line the whole pond with fibreglass it would be ok, however I also have some concerns, but until I joined this forum I had no ideas. I have found a company here in Malaysia that do pond windows and large scale aquariums and they will make the frames and fit the windows so that I hope solves that issue. As for the brick work well I do not know what to do yet I may well knock it back down and rebuild with bigger wider blocks as you have suggested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not as young as I would like to be
i hear yea
Minimum wall thickness, imo, should be 8"
Sorry i have to agree on the 4 inch wall if for not other reason then the kids running up to the already stressed wall and pushingb on it. How ever all is not lost. The pressures are minimal the higher you go but that is where your wall is its most vulnerable. Placing a cap across the top that is secured to the bricj with a collar that drops down a course uf wood or a metal collar making an L shape this could strengthen the wall ten foldc. I love the bonsai trees and the gray brick. . The one other idea i have is to make one side of your iskand a mountain lush and covered in moss with the bosai on top and the other closer to the bottom like those steep mountains that drop into the ocean .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi thanks again yes I am considering what to do with the wall. I have re bar inside already and 2/3 of the water is under ground level the last 1 foot of water is above ground. Plus as previously stated it will all be lined with fibreglass. I had thought of lining it with plywood board and then the fibre glass but as I said still considering this. Or I could still put a double wall around the outside. I am certainly no expert and I go quite slow so there is time to change. The other plus I believe is the island in the middle reduces the amount of water directly on the the wall. Even though the pond is 9 feet wide the full width and water pressure is reduced a lot by the island. Anyway I always slisten to suggestions this is why I joined this forum in the first place. So many thanks to all who chip in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HOW OFTEN DID YOU INSTALL THE REBAR AND WHAT SIZE THAT COULD BE THE GAME SAVING RUN ?
DID YOU DRILL IT INTO THE TOP OF THE OLD TOP ?
but yes you are right the weights / pressure at the top is much less then it is at the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even a brick wall that's only one course wide i would be weary with excited kids when they saw fish at there height. but rebar is a game changer if you used enough. and in looking at the pics with the distances im thinking your going to be fine

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
There are 3 10mm rods drilled into the longest wall that is only 4 bricks long. Kids are actually not allowed in the courtyard the gate is locked all the time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
then i guess the only other question is your mortar but if you dilled the rebar a couple inches into the "base" i feel you should be ok i would do a band around the top so Something is holding tieing it all together

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do hate when they don't show the final results. And they just dispear

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi I haven't disappeared, I cannot even start yet. Because I live in a small town on a mountain top and every where in the country is going through lockdown number 3. We cannot buy the pipes, cement or blocks. Plus even if we could we cannot get anyone to come up here to deliver again because only essential transport is allowed. Please do not jump to conclusions. I will show everything when we begin, taking your valuable advice as our guide.
Right now these corvid 19 lockdown are killing us. No income here for more than 1year and savings don't last forever. Patience is also kinda running thin with no sign of vaccinations either. Please understand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry was not meant directly at you as a disrespect but more as an empty chapter if that makes any sense. Sorry your going through the lock downs yet again . People will never realize that when it comes to a microscopic virus a cloth mask just doesn't cut it. At least Dr's know how to treat it a lot better then before. I can't tell you how much i disagree with our experts. Instead of trying to protect 99 percent of the citizens we should let the under 40 lead there lives. Wear the mask if it makes you feel better but let people live. I feel for you i really do. Its not untill people start pushing back that it will end. .

As far as advice its just that. I'm just a joe on the internet you should question any advise you get. But back it up with maybe you tube or other remorse.

Hopefully our ending of lock downs will be infectious and head your way.

Good luck . Wish you the best

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look on the bright side if there is one. you have all kinds of time to come up with a plan.
I wasn't so lucky i was essential but i was wishing i was home like most . But there has to be an end. But unfortunately many businesses are making a KILLING from this bs. And they will continue to push the fear as long as those buy the fear. Hell i didn't hear or see a mention of the flue until the mask mandates were lifted and funny it was the same week , amazing how that works that way.

Ask a Question