Hi! Building first pond. Sort of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
pond test.jpg

I couldn't wait. Took the afternoon off, bought my liner, lined the hole with carpet scraps, installed and smoothed out liner, filled it up. Am currently playing with rocks (need a LOT more!) and other ideas....the logs are temporary. I did build up a little berm around the pond under the liner so water should run away from the edges.

So excited! I wish I wasn't on so much of a time + money budget; plants and what-not will have to wait. No time to put up even a make-shift fence, so it now has a blue tarp covering it and the Rottweiler has been severely admonished for even going near the thing. He is mostly really obedient so I think I'll be fine for now.

I barely got it filled and some wasp-like insect started swooping around the surface. I called my township water department and apparently they use only chlorine gas and no chloramine, so that's a good thing, right? Over time (especially when I can remove the tarp) the chlorine will outgas and I don't have to use a dechlor product. I'm hoping to start plants + do fence next weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Great start and welcome. I started with a buried 100 stock tank. Warning, ponding is addicting!

Ask a Question