Hi from England

Reaction score
Greetings, One and All from across The Pond (forgive the pun). I've been checking out this forum for a few weeks and it's the best online. So, here I am as a new member.

My experience and knowledge of ponds is somewhat limited but I give it my best shot. My current pond is about four years old and seems well albeit for a few mistakes in the build. It is 12x8 by 2 deep and contains 1 English Koi, 5 Golden Orfe, 2 Serasa Comets, 1 Grass Carp and 1 Shobunkin. They all outgrowing the pond so I'm in the throes of a new one with the intention of turning the existing one into a wildlife pond. The new one will be approx 18x12 by 3 deep. I would like to run a filter system using two 60 gallon water butts in tandem. I found the set up used by Dr Case really interesting. I have three queries regarding this. Firstly, how high should I position the outlet hole for the pipe back to the pond in relation to the rest of the plumbing? Two, should I use the same filter media for each butts? Thirdly, what size pump would be best for this set up? I don't know if the same makes of pump are available in the UK as are in the US but I could find an equivalant over here.

Many thanks and Best Wishes to All

Richard

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, glad you joined. Those that use filters will help you out, I am using a bog garden as my pond filter.

Post pictures when you can of your set up. And the build as you go we all like to look.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
I do have a few different things in each filters

Reaction score
Hi Dr Case. Thank you for the welcome. I wonder if you could tell me please the hieght of your outlet to the pond in relation to the inlet to the second tub? They appear almost level?

Ask a Question