Hi from Northern England

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, pond lover from Northern England here, I joined here as i'm interested in getting everyone's thoughts, tips and pointers on how to best manage my pond - I've relied on my dads advice so far (he's had a pond for the last 30 years and all is good with it) so am just looking to see what everyone else does to overcome the ongoing issues and problems that we all seem to get, as well as picking up any general housekeeping tips!

I have a small raised pond that's about 2,500 litres (photos will be up soon) and is home to 3 koi, 4 blue orfe, 6 rosey red minnows and several shubunkins that the kids chose (i didn't want koi originally but that's what happens when you let the wife and kids choose fish when you're not there i suppose!)

Looking forward to scouring the forum and chatting to you all soon! Cheers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

My first tip will be to find a new home for those koi... sadly, at just over 600 gallons US, your pond just isn't going to be big enough long term to house them.

Tell us what kinds of issues are concerning you - and definitely get some pictures posted. We love to see ponds... especially across the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the GPF!

My first tip will be to find a new home for those koi... sadly, at just over 600 gallons US, your pond just isn't going to be big enough long term to house them.

Tell us what kinds of issues are concerning you - and definitely get some pictures posted. We love to see ponds... especially across the pond!

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply! To be honest the way things are going i think i'll end up building a koi pond aswell as the pond we have at the minute! Its quite addictive (a lot more than i thought it would be!), and nothing beats sitting in the garden watching the pond with a glass of wine or a beer!

I'm looking for advice and tips on achieving better water quality more than anything - i quite like the idea of adding a bog filter and have been looking at some of the post on here already (having spent the last few months looking online and on youtube at the "experts" videos), with some great ideas and photos (idiots guides) aswell! I only have a 7000lph in pond filter at present and was thinking of running this alongside a seperate pump for a bog filter/garden so will be quizzing a few people on here about that! Posts coming soon, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-1_10-47-56.gif
@allgood79
Oh boy we might get to watch you build a new koi pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, also - i've posted these pics in the "photos" area but this is our pond (these were last years photos though), the first is during construction and the other two are when i finished it - its about two feet deep (i know you Americans still deal in "old money" when it comes to measurements, that's 600mm to us over here!). Also, please excuse the state of the lawn - when the photos were taken we were in the process of re-turfing!!

Attachments

• 01 POND CONSTRUCTION.JPG
    01 POND CONSTRUCTION.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 02 POND.JPG
    02 POND.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 03 POND.JPG
    03 POND.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 169

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy we have all kinds of advice! Lots here have koi ponds. Myself I just have goldfish, shubunkins (love these for their many calico colors) and some pure white, half oj/half white. Started out w/just simple orange ones many years ago. Love them all!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! you built one and are thinking of building your second already................another addicted pond person.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
To be honest the way things are going i think i'll end up building a koi pond aswell as the pond we have at the minute! Its quite addictive (a lot more than i thought it would be!), and nothing beats sitting in the garden watching the pond with a glass of wine or a beer!

Oh... you're one of US now! The few, the proud, the ADDICTED! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! you built one and are thinking of building your second already................another addicted pond person.

Hi Addy1, i know, i didn't think it'd become a hobby! I just though i'd bung a pond in and that would be that!

I've been looking at your posts and photos about your bog filter and must say i'm impressed - my plan is to add one this year so i may need to pick your brain at some stage if that's ok!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome (and the likes), i'm starting to feel at home already!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Addy1, i know, i didn't think it'd become a hobby! I just though i'd bung a pond in and that would be that!

I've been looking at your posts and photos about your bog filter and must say i'm impressed - my plan is to add one this year so i may need to pick your brain at some stage if that's ok!
sure! and all the other brains here.

Ask a Question