Hi from Montana!

Reaction score
Oh my god someone got my hubby's debit card number and has bought about 200.00 dollars at target somewhere in Canada! I have three family members where they have had charges to their checking accts that weren't theirs. What the heck, there's a lot of buisness that won't take checks. Maybe we need go back to that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We also shopped at Target on the days mentioned on the news that the American Express cards were hacked. Now we wait and see if anyone uses our numbers. We could cancel and get a new card and we still might but they are telling us to wait.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The criminals will always try to beat the system, it is hard to stay one step ahead these days. I have an alert that tells me every time my debit or credit card is used so it will be hard for them to get away with stealing from me! Notifications go to my cell phone and computer right away. See if you can set that up with your bank.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have notifications emailed to me anytime the cards are used. I set the notifications as low as the card allows. Get a lot of over the max alerts, but I know when my card is used, if ever used by anybody. Also put in a password manager, have high tech passwords now, that I can never remember, but with this manager, just one password then can fill the passwords for the sites. Also each site is now a different password.
The app will wipe destruct if someone tries to hack it, after 4 tries of guessing the password to get in, i.e. erase all, but it is cloud backed up and on multiple devices so if wiped on one still have on others.

It was getting hard to remember all the darn passwords you need emails, insurance, banks, credit cards..............on and on and then if you change one........it is what the heck did I change it too. lol

Reaction score
I Agree addy, I have so many passwords Not only mine but also for my work. I keep most of them written down in a small note book that I always have in my purse. Hubby tried using his card and it was denied, that's when we knew something was wrong. When I called the bank they said the card was swiped. No way, we might be close to Canada but we haven't been up there in years.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we come down to florida, discover card usually denies any large amounts until I call them and tell them we are down here. In fact I need to call and give them a heads up that we are here. Small amounts go through but large amounts i.e. home depot for our construction stuff, gets denied.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have to call my credit card company when I go on vacation. It's worse than my Mom! But, they keep me safe, so I appreciate it. Once, I was NOT on vacation, my card was denied. I called, and they said, "Where are you?" I said in Illinois, they said it was used in Mexico, and I didn't call to report being out of state, so they denied the charge. :) I love that! First time it happened, it ticked me off, now I love them for being so careful! Same happens when you ARE on vacation, and you come home. I tell me company where I'm going, when I will return, and if it's used there after I return, they deny those charges, too! Now my bank/debit they won't let me let them know. How stupid is that? I never take my debit on vacation, just because of that. They said they would deny 2 charges in same day from two different states (far apart) or countries, but other than that, since it's PIN protected, it shouldn't happen.

Reaction score
Today when I went on line it said , stolen info data breach almost doubles to 70 million. The newly disclosed victims data was obtained by target prior to black Friday, Making one of the largest security breaches of it kind. Our bank temporarily credited our acct. for purchases up in Canada at Target due to investigations. How nice of them!!! Hubby hasn't shopped there in years.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would think the cc companies would close all accounts of anybody that shopped at target. We come to fl all the time, I forgot to call and tell discover card we were down here, they denied our home depot charge, I love it, just needed to call and tell them we were here. I can use american express without ever an issue, but much prefer the denial.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Agree with you, Addy. First time I was denied, I was mad. After learned why, I am happy! Let them deny my card anytime they want! It takes only a phone call to clear it. Can be embarrassing, but better to be embarrassed than to be taken advantage of!

Ask a Question