hi help please koi acting strange?

Reaction score
hi my ponds been running 12 month,had a think and wanted to add gravel ,so prewashed the gravel and added to pond ,water wasnt clear before i added the gravel and was already planning on adding the tetra crstal clear for suspeded dirt ,water was crystal clear day after now one of my koi is acting strange help please he wont eat and jus genraly not being himself added video please view he is the black and white sako thanks.http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/benjineal/media/IMG_00761.mp4.html

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when you added gravel you could have stirred up bad stuff on the bottom .Like in a fish tank the gravel get nasty and yucky the bottom of a pond can get like that .I use a pool net to clean some of the fish waste on the bottom .I over filter also and when I clean the bottom I have a basket of quilt batting picking up the bad stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

Reaction score
hi sissy i cleaned up the bottom save trapping any muck before the gravel went in there and also added quilt batting :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could have been shock from the noise the gravel made going in or like koi do they root in gravel and he has a piece stuck in his mouth .That's part of the reason I don't like gravel in with koi ,there not very smart

Reaction score
dont think hes got any gravel in his mouth will keep my eye on him like you say he could be stressed thanks for the help :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He could have some air trapped in his swim bladder I had that with a fantail took him out put him in fresh water with some of the pond water added and some solar salt and a pump for air and I rubbed his sides and gave him some peas and kept him like that until I could see he was acting normal again
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54088]at first
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54067]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54092]then when he got better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
First off may I have all your water perameters i;e Ammonia , Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Kh ?Next a little tip save yourself some money as pond salt is a rip off buy cooking salt instead.
Do not salt your pond, why because should you need to treat your pond some chemicals can react with the salt and cause you problems and if you have salted already and have to say use Formalin and Malachite with a Ph of 8.5 or above can cause the water to become Toxic to your fish.
Please note also Formalin should never ever be used with potasium Permangantate
If you must salt your fish it is far better to do a salt bath than add it to your pond why ? this is because salt doesnt evaporate and has to be removed by water changes.
Looking at your koi "which is a Shiro bekko by the way" we see that it is using all of its fins to maintain position and is not clamped, so it may well be a tad stressed by your adding of the gravel.
Personally I wouldn't use it in a pond because after a while detritus can build up and you'll need a pond vac to clean it....
This detritus can also hide some rather nasty things such as bacteria just waiting to attack any fish that is slightly off colour or has a breach to the protective mucus That protects it, which can cause no end of problems it would be better to take it out .
Looking at your pond it looks rather small and shallow how many gallons is it please?
Koi are the only fish that can out grow their suroundings so you may have to find new homes for them at a later date.
How deep is it please?, koi need a minimum of 4ft to overwinter safely .
How often do you do water changes on the pond ?
We do around a 30-40% waterchange and maintain our filtersystem on a regular basis you should be looking toabout the same.
If you have any questions no matter how silly you think they are please ask someone will always help you .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
hi dave fish is fine now all happy this water is well overfiltered it is a 660 gallon pond at 4 ft all parimeters are fine these koi have lived in there over 12 month and the pond will be made bigger next year this was a tester pond for me (my first pond) thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I thought you may well have stressed it out , I've found over the years that some koi stress easier than others, we have one we ued to take to shows who would bleed during transportation, another that was stressed by changes to water chemistry.
We used that koi as an early warning system to anything untowards haopening to our tap water in the spring so keep an eye on this fish from now on you never know he may just indicate future problems to your pond

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question