Hi I Have Just Put In A Yellow Light Above My Koi Pond. When I Put The Light On The Fish Are Jumping

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi I have just put in a yellow light above my koi pond. When I put the light on the fish are jumping up towards the light. Is this a bad thing? Is the light stressing them out?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Reshika

Maybe they are jumping for joy :)
No seriously I don't know but maybe they are trying to catch night bugs?
We need more info on if they do it every time or do they calm down after awhile. Try letting them get used to it and I would not leave it on all night. Fish need sleep also.
Do they do it every time you turn the light on at night? Do they actually look like they could jump out of the pond? If so that's not a good thing so turn the thing off.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
@Reshika

Maybe they are jumping for joy :)
No seriously I don't know but maybe they are trying to catch night bugs?
We need more info on if they do it every time or do they calm down after awhile. Try letting them get used to it and I would not leave it on all night. Fish need sleep also.
Do they do it every time you turn the light on at night? Do they actually look like they could jump out of the pond? If so that's not a good thing so turn the thing off.
Hi tonight was the first time I put the light on. I had it on for about half an hour I got worried so I turned it off. I did not want to stress them.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi tonight was the first time I put the light on. I had it on for about half an hour I got worried so I turned it off. I did not want to stress them.
I have a net over the pond because a stork was snacking on my fish so they won't be able to jump out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would try leaving it on for a few minutes each night till they get used to it and see how it goes. I think they will get used to it eventually and you won't have it on all night right? Maybe they think it's the moon and they are more active in looking for food then: http://www.fullmoon.info/en/blog/full-moon-fishing.html

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I would try leaving it on for a few minutes each night till they get used to it and see how it goes. I think they will get used to it eventually and you won't have it on all night right? Maybe they think it's the moon and they are more active in looking for food then: http://www.fullmoon.info/en/blog/full-moon-fishing.html
☺Yes i think I will try leaving it on a few minutes a night and see how it goes. No I won't leave on whole night! Thanks

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have been putting the light on a few minutes for the past three nights. No jumping anymore! ☺

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
naturally fishes dont like bright light , even sun . they live in dark dim light in nature and for that purpose there eyes are sensitive to see in murky waters and they have no eyelids , it can also effect there timeclock , im against having bright light at nite for too long .
it must b shock stress when u open it suddenly , try to have some light in the environment before u turn on it so they adjust .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer,
Did someone do an experiment to try and prove fish react to colors? If so, do you know what the experiment was? :)

Here is one that is not very scientific-

http://carolinefernandesgoldfish.blogspot.com/2012/08/blog-post.html

and one that is (sorry no link)-

Effects of background color on growth performances and physiological responses of scaled carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) reared in a closed circulated system
S.E. Papoutsoglou a,* , G. Mylonakis a, H. Miliou a,
N.P. Karakatsouli a, S. Chadio b

Ask a Question