Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry for my long posts!

This is a Google picture of a shade sail. I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot, but I'm sure they are sold in a variety of places. They do a good job and can look somewhat decorative/unobtrusive. Last year I had 2, side-by-side, but this year only have one up.
image.jpeg

Aeration..... I have a pump [Pond Master, maybe?] with a 6 outlet attachment so I am able to run airstones in my pond, in my QT [quarantine tank], and in my Skippy filter [which is a 100 or so gal. Rubbermaid stock tank]. I don't know the numbers to tell you how strong it is -- I'm sure it's on the pump, so if I go out soon, I'll look. With a 3.5' pond depth, be sure you get something that will handle that depth and not a wimpy fish tank pump, LOL! I didn't do a lot of research before I bought it, but have been happy with it. It's quiet and has never given me a problem in 3 years of constant use. But keep in mind that air pumps have to be sheltered in some way. I have a plastic thing on top of mine to keep the rain off. Other people have other, much cuter ways to protect theirs. The main thing is that you want as much movement on the water surface as possible -- that's where gas exchange takes place. I just use large aquarium airstones and regular aquarium tubing. How cold does it get there in the winter? That's a whole other issue you'll need to think about, but no need to bring it up now as you DO have a lot going on. Just remember to mention "cold weather" at a later time.

Yes, when your test kit arrives, start checking your water. As a medical professional [and past lab tech], you probably understand the chemistry behind the nitrogen cycle, or at least the basic concepts, so I won't go into that. But if you have questions or need help with results, let us know. Whenever you report results, we do ask that you give us the numeric results. Many folks will tell us that their "water parameters are OK," but that doesn't tell us anything. At 5-6 weeks your pond probably hasn't cycled yet, so try to be patient and give it time. Your ammonia and nitrites [and maybe nitrates] are probably elevated, which is normal so don't add any chemicals to change anything -- let nature do the work. A partial water change wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary. Be sure to dechlorinate if your water has chlorine/chloramines. When you can see them, how are the fish acting?

The psych nurse part -- not my thing, but I LOVE forensics, so that aspect sounds exciting. I don't know what to say about losing your babies......but I can give you a big, virtual HUG!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah... new pond. Patience is the key. Your pond probably hasn't finished cycling, the bio-filter probably hasn't matured, and your plants are young. Testing the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will help determine where your pond is in the nitrogen cycle.

Ok...taking deep breaths..lol
One question. The Pond Master test kits only test for nitrates or nitrites, one or the other. What is a good kit?
Going to TRY pics again.20160814_144202.jpg 20160814_143934.jpg 20160814_144202.jpg 20160814_143934.jpg 20160814_144326.jpg

Attachments

• 20160808_152057.jpg
    20160808_152057.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 20160810_104241.jpg
    20160810_104241.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 214

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get the Freshwater Master kit -- it has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH [2 bottles -- one for a regular range pH and one for a hi-range pH]. (The Master Pond kit has phosphates instead of nitrates, I believe -- you could get that one, but get a separate test for nitrates). Eventually you'll want to get additional tests for KH and GH. Same company, API makes the Freshwater and Master Pond kits.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, lovely pond! Lovely green water, too, LOL. It will get better! And I see that you do have some other plants in the pond as marginals -- the ones in pots along the edges. This is good, and a good way to keep the koi out of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Get the Freshwater Master kit -- it has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH [2 bottles -- one for a regular range pH and one for a hi-range pH]. (The Master Pond kit has phosphates instead of nitrates, I believe -- you could get that one, but get a separate test for nitrates). Eventually you'll want to get additional tests for KH and GH. Same company, API makes the Freshwater and Master Pond kits.
Ty, you think someone would make a kit foe everything! BTW, what is KH & GH? This pond is making me feel like an idiot lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry for my long posts!

This is a Google picture of a shade sail. I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot, but I'm sure they are sold in a variety of places. They do a good job and can look somewhat decorative/unobtrusive. Last year I had 2, side-by-side, but this year only have one up.
View attachment 93941

Aeration..... I have a pump [Pond Master, maybe?] with a 6 outlet attachment so I am able to run airstones in my pond, in my QT [quarantine tank], and in my Skippy filter [which is a 100 or so gal. Rubbermaid stock tank]. I don't know the numbers to tell you how strong it is -- I'm sure it's on the pump, so if I go out soon, I'll look. With a 3.5' pond depth, be sure you get something that will handle that depth and not a wimpy fish tank pump, LOL! I didn't do a lot of research before I bought it, but have been happy with it. It's quiet and has never given me a problem in 3 years of constant use. But keep in mind that air pumps have to be sheltered in some way. I have a plastic thing on top of mine to keep the rain off. Other people have other, much cuter ways to protect theirs. The main thing is that you want as much movement on the water surface as possible -- that's where gas exchange takes place. I just use large aquarium airstones and regular aquarium tubing. How cold does it get there in the winter? That's a whole other issue you'll need to think about, but no need to bring it up now as you DO have a lot going on. Just remember to mention "cold weather" at a later time.

Yes, when your test kit arrives, start checking your water. As a medical professional [and past lab tech], you probably understand the chemistry behind the nitrogen cycle, or at least the basic concepts, so I won't go into that. But if you have questions or need help with results, let us know. Whenever you report results, we do ask that you give us the numeric results. Many folks will tell us that their "water parameters are OK," but that doesn't tell us anything. At 5-6 weeks your pond probably hasn't cycled yet, so try to be patient and give it time. Your ammonia and nitrites [and maybe nitrates] are probably elevated, which is normal so don't add any chemicals to change anything -- let nature do the work. A partial water change wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary. Be sure to dechlorinate if your water has chlorine/chloramines. When you can see them, how are the fish acting?

The psych nurse part -- not my thing, but I LOVE forensics, so that aspect sounds exciting. I don't know what to say about losing your babies......but I can give you a big, virtual HUG!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok...let's see, did treat water for chlorination (jic) cause we had to have it trucked in. We live out kinda in the boonies with a crap well (slow) soooo, water change is almost out of the question.We do add water from time to time due to evaporation as its been so hot here! Well water's ok.
Love the shade sail!! Thing! I believe we need that for the shallower end of our pond which we are going to try to fix....soon.
Have you seen the septic pumps. They are a bit pricey but from what I've heard they last forever, don't need any cover, made to work outside. Small one is about $100. I think one of the good brands is blue diamond but, thing is, they REALLY put out the air and what destroys them is when too small a diffuser is put on them and I have no idea how you determine that. You can bleed off some air...kind of confusing but the backflow/back pressure blows the bladder in them.
Have not put much of anything in our pond except bacteria initially and some barley....didn't help. No serious chemicals or anything.
One thing I forgot to mention is, I am lucky to have a "pond guru" just down the highway from me. I will be helping him get his ponds ready for winter (to learn) He is a healthy active 70 and has been pond in 25 yrs. His ponds (and plants) are outta this world.
Our winters are sure cold to me, I'm a Floridian! It gets down to the teens frequently.
Ty for all your help...trying to calm down...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah... new pond. Patience is the key. Your pond probably hasn't finished cycling, the bio-filter probably hasn't matured, and your plants are young. Testing the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will help determine where your pond is in the nitrogen cycle.

Ty...just getting the hang of this. Didn't mean to not respond. Ordered test kit tonight!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The green bothers the humans and the fish are fine with it. The best fix for algae is time. Probably not what you want to hear but with time the pond will balance itself.
Thankyou....you're right it bothers me. I'm freaked that the fish can't breath but they are acting fine (when I can see them lol)
We even saw some retry good sized fry feeding tonight. Being very careful with the food. I think I need a primer on the nitrogen cycle...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Love your pond even looks good green , ur a pro , hey ur funy why arr u in depression from green water lol anyway u shud scream once loud then relax
its nothing big ,should b clear in a month dont worry untill then see fishes on utube , as ppl suggested , test water add some plants , add more filter media , as bacteria and org grow , it shoukd control , even if nothing works , have uv filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thankyou....you're right it bothers me. I'm freaked that the fish can't breath but they are acting fine (when I can see them lol)
We even saw some retry good sized fry feeding tonight. Being very careful with the food. I think I need a primer on the nitrogen cycle...
They must b saying , help ! Help where are we? i cant breath i cant see anything !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love your pond even looks good green , ur a pro , hey ur funy why arr u in depression from green water lol anyway u shud scream once loud then relax
its nothing big ,should b clear in a month dont worry untill then see fishes on utube , as ppl suggested , test water add some plants , add more filter media , as bacteria and org grow , it shoukd control , even if nothing works , have uv filter.

Lol you are funny!! I have lots of plants plus a grove of celery growing on the filter. How much more filtration could we need??? We have 18 bags of lava rock in a 150 lb. Tub with plants growing on top?
I think I will scream now... :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They must b saying , help ! Help where are we? i cant breath i cant see anything !

Are you making fun of me????
And what happens to the frogs in the winter...I'm getting quite attached to one....

Ask a Question