Hi, new member from Ohio

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I am a new pond owner ( or maybe it owns me...not sure lol) I am an RN (medically retired) Originally from Florida. Our pond is about 2200 gal ( hope fully will be altered on one low side to hold a bit more) it is about 3.5 ft deep and somewhat kidney shaped. We have a Pond builder 3400 gph pump in a large skimmer that feeds a 150 gal stock tank filled with 18 bags (36X24) lava rock with water celery growing over the top as a bio filter. From this tank flows a pretty strong waterfall. I began adding beneficial bacteria since day one and treated water as although we are on a well, it's not a good well, recovers very slowly so, this was trucked in municipal wated.We currently have about 9 lily's (hardy and tropical) doing well when the koi arnt digging them up! We have about 18 koi. About 4 large (6-12") and the rest smaller.I have a bit of "shade" in the water because it gets full sun much of the day. I had about 1/2 a ton of small rock in the bottom....big mistake, limestone no less, which has since been removed by hand ugh! We have had clear water but no more. We have green water I hate...main reason I joined this forum. I want to SEE my fish.....I am so frustrated currently I could scream. I need to learn a lot.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Jeanie, welcome to our forum. Are water lilys the only plants you have in your pond? The best way to fight green water is by adding more plants - marginals and submersibles like anacharis and hornwort.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Most all of us have had algae blooms once or twice. It's disturbing, but definitely a fact of ponding. Many including myself believe a pond needs to 'age' for awhile till nature gets things in check. I had various algae problems in the beginning but have enjoyed clear water MOST of the time for the last several years.
You say you're waterfall flows hardily, but being kidney shaped there may be stagnant areas. I would try some additional aeration on the far side of the falls, of even throughout the pond. Simple bubblers do work in ponds! I've used tint to knock down oncoming algae, it does work but you need to get to it before it becomes an issue. Show us a pic, an don't get frustrated, 75% of new members come here with the same problem, hopefully they found the solution they're looking for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Jeanie, welcome to our forum. Are water lilys the only plants you have in your pond? The best way to fight green water is by adding more plants - marginals and submersibles like anacharis and hornwort.
Oh no, I have a lot of marginal but the lilies are all that are down in the pond. I figured the water lettuce in the filer and it's bunches of roots would help. We are not happy with the sides of our pond. We need more water.shelves are too shallow so we have to add dirt and build up a shallow end. Pond was not as level as we thought. Thankyou for feply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most all of us have had algae blooms once or twice. It's disturbing, but definitely a fact of ponding. Many including myself believe a pond needs to 'age' for awhile till nature gets things in check. I had various algae problems in the beginning but have enjoyed clear water MOST of the time for the last several years.
You say you're waterfall flows hardily, but being kidney shaped there may be stagnant areas. I would try some additional aeration on the far side of the falls, of even throughout the pond. Simple bubblers do work in ponds! I've used tint to knock down oncoming algae, it does work but you need to get to it before it becomes an issue. Show us a pic, an don't get frustrated, 75% of new members come here with the same problem, hopefully they found the solution they're looking for.
Thankyou....I just hate not even being able to see my fish! I feel like they are suffocating....just me, no signs or air deficit from fish. I will post some pics. Remember...it's a work in progress and new...no laughing lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and what made you go from Florida to Ohio Just curious as most had south not north .

Reaction score
Some pictures of the pond edge would help. Yours sounds almost identical to mine including the stock tank and the un-level edge and the well water. The exception is I use snow fence in the filter instead of lava rock. My suggestion to the green water would be to get a UV light. Yes maybe it will clear up in time but after 2 years I wasn't about to wait any longer. Within 1 week I went from pea green to being able to see 4 feet down. As far as the fish go IMHO you have too many. They may look nice now but in two years they will be over a foot long and will be swarming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I too am a retired RN.
Nice to meet you. I'm so frustrated with green water I'm about to pull my hair out!

What kind of nursing?
On top of it all, I'm having problems posting pics!! Checking my phone to see if the are too large or what. I hear I have 4 lilies in bloom today so going to run out and see!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice to meet you. I'm so frustrated with green water I'm about to pull my hair out!

What kind of nursing?
On top of it all, I'm having problems posting pics!! Checking my phone to see if the are too large or what. I hear I have 4 lilies in bloom today so going to run out and see!
How long has your pond been up & running? Things that cause green water: excess nutrients in the water and too much sun light. You have koi and they produce a lot of waste. Are you checking your water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? If your pond is still new, it may not have completely cycled. Can you check your water and get back with us with the results [actual numbers, not "normal levels"]? If the pond is in direct sunlight all day, providing shade [like with a shade sail] can make a big difference. Adding plants can help, as the plants compete with the algae for nutrients, however, koi are hard on plants. Water lilies can help shade the pond, but they aren't for removing nutrients. Also, do you have any aeration: airstones and air pump? That might help, plus you have a lot of koi in there, so any added aeration and water movement will help. Be sure you aren't over-feeding.

As to adding beneficial bacteria, most of us don't think that really helps. The bacteria that will eliminate fish waste are already there -- in the air, in the water, in the soil. They have to go through a "cycle" of stages, each one building on the others, and each one specialized in what it converts. And this process takes time for each stage to complete, so adding extra bacteria isn't going to hasten the process. The main ingredient is called patience!

If you're still having problems posting pictures, let us know and someone can walk you through it.

I was a Maternal-Child nurse. I worked mostly post-partum and high-risk antepartum, but did some L&D and Nsy. How about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How long has your pond been up & running? Things that cause green water: excess nutrients in the water and too much sun light. You have koi and they produce a lot of waste. Are you checking your water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? If your pond is still new, it may not have completely cycled. Can you check your water and get back with us with the results [actual numbers, not "normal levels"]? If the pond is in direct sunlight all day, providing shade [like with a shade sail] can make a big difference. Adding plants can help, as the plants compete with the algae for nutrients, however, koi are hard on plants. Water lilies can help shade the pond, but they aren't for removing nutrients. Also, do you have any aeration: airstones and air pump? That might help, plus you have a lot of koi in there, so any added aeration and water movement will help. Be sure you aren't over-feeding.

As to adding beneficial bacteria, most of us don't think that really helps. The bacteria that will eliminate fish waste are already there -- in the air, in the water, in the soil. They have to go through a "cycle" of stages, each one building on the others, and each one specialized in what it converts. And this process takes time for each stage to complete, so adding extra bacteria isn't going to hasten the process. The main ingredient is called patience!

If you're still having problems posting pictures, let us know and someone can walk you through it.

I was a Maternal-Child nurse. I worked mostly post-partum and high-risk antepartum, but did some L&D and Nsy. How about you?

Our pond has been up and running only about 5 or 6 weeks. I don't have other plants for two reasons, haven't been able to find any (got some from Ebay and they came in like snot..lol) been Sooooo hot, the we have a 150 gal. Stock tank as our filtration that has a thick growth of water celery on top. Thought that would help. Most of our koi are small (5-6 in) we do have about 4 that are large 12 in or so.
We do need bubbles at the end away from the waterfall. Would love any suggestions as to brands, pumps, diy stuff etc. I know we need tiny bubbles.
We are careful about feeding, the biggest problem we probably had around that issue is for a couple of weeks they didn't seem to eat at all...at least not while we were watching! The large ones do now. Feed what they eat in 5 min. 1X daily.
What is the "sail" thing you spoke of? Our pond has been baking!! It has been extremely hot and dry here for us. It gets tons of sun. I have put a bit of "shade" in the pond but not real dark. Pretty much gone now I think.
I was a pyschiatric/detox nurse. Usually supervision. Opened a crisis unit for our community mental health center and managed it for about 10 years. Did forensic psyc, adolescent, community mental health, medical detox. Lab tech prior to being a nurse and do you believe I haven't gotten a test kit yet??? Just ordered one. (We did lose my mother in law recently and have been trying to deal with various issues that come with that so.....I've had my hands full)
Interesting about the bacteria. Just watched a you-tube video of an English gentleman who filmed a 5 week trial with barley concentrate and algae, no help. His was very different than ours though, he had dark green thick ag. mostly on the bottom and sides etc but his water was clear as a bell. I can't even SEE our fish.
BTW, my mother in law did the exact same nursing you did for 40 years. Graduated from Christmas hospital (diploma) around 1942! She loved her babies. Personally, I lost 5 boys, preemies, d/t severe hypothyroidism, incompetent cervix. All died within a short time after birth. For ten years I had kids and have none to show for it. It was hell.
Well, any suggestions as to getting some bubbles and I'm going to work on pics! Ty

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Our pond has been up and running only about 5 or 6 weeks.
Ah... new pond. Patience is the key. Your pond probably hasn't finished cycling, the bio-filter probably hasn't matured, and your plants are young. Testing the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will help determine where your pond is in the nitrogen cycle.

Ask a Question