Hi NJ transplant (one of many, I'm sure) from West Orange to PA Poconos.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never understand why people ask aren't you going to be bored after you retire .I have not stopped since I retired .I had dirt and a house I built decks ,pergolas and shed and do my woodworking .I just last year took up over 2000 sq. ft of flooring and put down new flooring .Seems like there is always something to do .If not mowing or trimming trees or shrubs it is building things .I still to this day wonder how I did it all when I was working 6 days a week and raising 2 sons .I think people who retire find more things to do that they enjoy or always wanted to do or dreamed of doing .I learn so many new things than ever before .67 and still going strong and married soon 48 years ,good gosh how did he put up with me that long ;):D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update on the solution to a problem you guys helped me recognize. Inerrant in the use of skimmers is the possibility of water level dropping too low or them becoming clogged. I'm sure most of you already know the problem and solution. But for the benefit of other newbies:
The low level situation is easily solved by an automatic level control system. The clogging is a little more difficult with the pump intake connected directly to a single skimmer. When either situation occurs the pump will run dry and overheat. I was sure I'm not the only one that has ever run up against this but could not find an available solution on the internet. My problem was more one of a limited vocabulary than a unique situation. The answer became obvious when I finally stumbled across it. A check valve! The one I found is cheap and a high flow design. Just put a "T" connector before the pump intake and put this check valve on the bottom of the connection with the intake side of the valve open to the water vault. Both the pump and the check valve will be installed at the bottom of the pond in the water vault.

Valterra Check Valve, 3/4 in, Single, Inline Spring Swing
Granger and of course Amazon both have it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i do miss this tank but when i started traveling it needed more attention then i could give it. But i have already acquired plate glass 5/8" thick for my next set up 7 feet long 36" deep and 24 inches tall . then ill make the above area from there .
I wish you hadn't shown me that. Now I'm itching to build one! I can't add another thing to my to-do list!

Ask a Question