Transplanting bamboo?

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? There is a dirt road next to our home and every redneck out there rides 4 wheelers kicking up a lot of dust. I know they grow like crazy but I don't care, I want a large barrier to reduce the dust and the noise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never done it but have read that you will want to plant them in a container burried in the ground to prevent them from taking over your entire yard. I've seen where people have used plastic kids pools to keep it under control. A while back I looked into getting some black bamboo for my landscape as well. It is very pretty and unique up here. I remember there being a lot of tutorials for how to do it. I know it has runners that grow underground, so dividing should just be a matter of cutting those runners where you want to separate the plant.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you don't mind them going crazy and sending their underground runners in that area and beyond then they are supposed to make great barriers but like Jen says they will take over! So use a barrier system like below:

Trenching down 30", installing root barrier, backfilling & planting 2 types of running bamboo: phyllostachys aurea 'golden bamboo' & pseudosasa japonica 'Japanese Arrow Bamboo'.

Bamboo plants are perfect for screening along fences to block out neighbors. Bamboo is a great choice for privacy screening because it can be used in narrow areas and small yards.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
clumping bamboo you will need more plants but it gets very thick and the roots will not harm the foundation of your home or other structures and grows up to 20 feet or more and grows 3 feet a year in good conditions .Here they give bamboo from some that grow around here to the zoo's and they come and cut it for free

Reaction score
I have planted bamboo before in San Jose. It was used a lot in the Bay Area. I used 60 mil plastic like in the video. And as Sissy said, there are 2 different basic kinds, clumping which don't have runners and runners.

There are some bamboo myths. Its legendary growth is way off. We hear about the 1" growth per day which is true, but only for short periods of time and only in new stalks. In the spring some new shoots will pop out of the ground and these will grow fast, reaching full height in a few weeks. After that the stalk will never grow any more.

The size of these new stalks is related to the age of the plant. The shoot comes out of the ground at basically it's final diameter. So in an older Moso you can get 7" diameter shoots coming out of the ground and grow to 75-90' tall in a few weeks. But if you're expecting that from a new plant you're going to be disappointed.

Barriers are one way to contain bamboo. Other way is to trench, about 10" deep around the grove. The runners only run just beneath the surface so they pop out into the trench and can be pruned off. The plastic barrier works basically the same way. The barrier doesn't stop the bamboo from spreading, it causes runner to hit the plastic and hopefully turn up and over the plastic where they can be seen and pruned. With either method, if there is enough water, the bamboo can do a lot of damage if not maintained for years. That's true for lots of plants.

If you want a fast growing hedge similar to bamboo you could check out Giant Reed, Arundo dona. Sugar cane is also popular here in Phoenix. The Giant Reed is no doubt listed as a noxious weed in Texas, but I'm not sure of the actual law. In Texas the horse is out of the barn and way down the road as the plant is throughout Texas, so I'm not sure how much harm it would do now.

With just a bit of rhizome you can have a very tall and dense hedge within a year. Giant Reed actually has the attributes given to bamboo. Giant Reed likes a good amount of water and fertilizer. So it can be contained by dry soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have been growing bamboo for 3 years now. I have 5 different types, 4 runners and 2 clumpers.

My clumpers are about 3 feet tall might hit 4 this year and I purchased at about 1.5 feet tall. They gain just under a foot in width and height each year. They stay evergreen here in zone 7 and prefer the shade (most clumpers do). I had to transplant one this year to lower a bed due to water damage to a house. I was surprised when the entire plant turned brown. For being so "invasive" as everyone says it didn't take the transplant well at all. I did everything right, only had it out of the ground for about 10 minutes and used root stimulate when putting it back in the ground. Well that was mid March and it is just now getting green leaves again and likely wont grow at all this year.

I planted two different types of running timber (20'-30' tall max height) bamboo ph. decora and ph. negra in the spring of 2010. They were both about 4 feet tall when planted. After the first winter they died back to the ground and reached about 3'-4' last summer. This winter they stayed green but were still pretty small so I bought a couple different kinds that are supposed to get to 40' high. They are about 5' right now. But since my two older plants have been setting up shoots like crazy. But they will probably only hit about 6' tall this year. I hear it takes a while for it to become established (about 5 years) before you start seeing the max height on canes. To tell you the truth the weeping willow I planted is growing much faster than the bamboo.

I have all my runners planted in an area that is about 700 square feet with a bamboo barrier around it, 3' deep.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the growth rate:

Running Bamboo

June 2010
DSCN0345.jpg

March 2011
DSCN0602.jpg

Summer 2011
DSCN1244.jpg

Feb 2012
DSCN1682.jpg

A week ago, there are many new shoots since this pic was taken.
DSCN1947.jpg

My goal is to have it fill in that entire area with tall 20'-40' timber bamboo, providing shade and privacy, plus a cool back drop for the pond. But as you can see I am patiently waiting :)

Bamboo can be slow growing, and can become invasive. Without any care in the first couple of year it may not make it. They can be very easy to grow with minimal required maintenance if you always do the required maintenance (about 2-3 times a year).

Ask a Question