Hibiscus coccineus

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Free seeds, If intrested I have about 50 seeds I can send out. I'll send out 5 seeds or more if requested and I have enough if you'll PM me and send me your address. This will be first come first serve and limited to what seeds I have available. JW, Your first five seeds are confirmed. If you would like more LMK. Addy and Tmann have second and third dibs as they requested some before this post. I will need to know how many seeds you need.

Attachments

• Hibiscus coccineus.jpg
    Hibiscus coccineus.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 372
  • frogs hibiscus pond 042.jpg
    frogs hibiscus pond 042.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 403
Reaction score
What zone hardy is it and what are the sun requirements? Being a flowering plant I'm guessing full sun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Five would be fine fishin, gives a chance to get a good plant out of them, usually do well with seeds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KennethO said:
What zone hardy is it and what are the sun requirements? Being a flowering plant I'm guessing full sun.

The net says zone 7-11. It might or might not make it here, we are borderline zone 6b

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, I found one site that says zones 6-11 and one that says 7-11. I do think if you got them started this year in a put I would bring them inside for the winter this year. Just to let the roots get good and started. It's a pretty tough plant. I love the leaves in the fall, the colors are as pretty if not prettier than the flowers in the summer. Addy, if you would send me your address again, I think I still have it saved but it will be easier to get them all from one area in the morning when I go to send them out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will do fishin, get it started not to be put out until next spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess I'm safe as I'm in zone 7 but I think I will still bring them in this fall as they will just be babies. Next Spring they can go into the ground :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They can grow in the ground or in pots in the pond, I have seen them grown both ways. Just passing that info along.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fishin if they are grown in pots in the pond will they go dormant in the winter so you can sink them to a deeper part of your pond that does not freeze?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good question and unfortunately, I don't know the answer. I would say probably yes but I'm not really sure, Mine are growing bu my overflow on the pond so they are in soil that gets moistened after each rain.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For those of you that responded, the seeds went out today. Regular postage. Included planting instructions and a additional freebie for those of you that already have them coming. Still have some left if anyone else wants any of the hibiscus.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sure not a problem, will take pics too! Would love it. Send plane ticket. :):bouncycig:

Ask a Question