High ammonia no fish

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I had a lot of issues with my pond so I started fresh .. but my ammonia is really high again and there is no fish couple of plants ? Just curious why ? I have a filter I am setting up this weekend and will go pet store and get water tested as well and see what they say

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Either the test kit you are using is bad, or there is ammonia in your source water. if It is truly high then it will kick start the pond cycling, which is what you want to happen.

If you have ammonia in your source water, i would not do water changes on your pond. Not that I am advocate for doing water changes in ponds in the first place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with @Jhn - get a new test kit. How high is the ammonia? Is this the water you drink? Humans aren't as sensitive as fish, but it can be dangerous to you as well if you're ingesting it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PICTURES PICTURES AND MORE PICTURES

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Test your tap water and have the pet store test both your tap and pond water. It’s quite possible to have ammonia in your tap water if you have city water treated with chloramine. You need an established filter to get rid of it

or you might have something decaying in the pond depending on how “fresh “ you started.

Good luck!

Ask a Question