Hollyhocks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hey @Timothy - remember these? They have really struggled to get started - mainly because they've been nibbled down to stubs by rabbits TWICE, crushed by my plumber who was trying to fix an outdoor spigot, and smashed under two bags of garden soil by the guys who were cleaning the patio and accidentally broke the spigot that required the plumber to come back and crush them AGAIN... but they made it! They are still tiny, but they are tough! And I LOVE them! (The cage and the plant tag should help with the human caused destruction, but I don't think the rabbit can read!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh and I remembered when I saw the picture that I had just sprayed them down to get rid of the white flies that were nibbling holes in them! Haha! I WILL SURVIVE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Love hollyhocks but always had issues with them here in Indiana. So gave up growing them... hollyhock has beautiful blooms....really love the bi-color ones and usual height from them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've got my fingers crossed for these! Both my grandmas used to grow them in northern WI, so I'm hoping they will do well here! (Of course, those two grew EVERYTHING with seemingly little effort, so who knows!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
which varieties are perennial? I had a some which only survived for two years. I'm thinking they were the biennial variety

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
which varieties are perennial? I had a some which only survived for two years. I'm thinking they were the biennial variety

I believe or thought they were all biennials that just reseed to keep them popping up every 2 years and after in the garden but maybe they have some new varieties I'm not familiar with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know much about them other than they are self-seeding and bloom every other year. If you get a good cluster of them growing, you'll have blossoms every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is one tough Hollyhock! We have had zero luck with them here but at a House many moons ago back in Ontario, Canada they grew fantastic. They really are a pretty summer flower and always remind me of the cottage garden look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
Tough plants! I have them here in southern Nevada, and they hold up through our brutal summers......pretty flowers in all colors!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Lasik1! I do remember them! Looks like in spite of the abuse there's four or five more blossoms coming :). I'm glad they were still viable. We've had a couple of false starts with a few of those plants. They were either mis-identified as weeds and hauled out of the ground, the bugs got to them, or they were planted over thinking they were done.
I guess seeing your success we'll try them again!
Thanks for the update!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are lovely! I hope that I can keep them growing in this spot for years to come! And I have more seeds, so I may start some more to plant in a few more locations in my garden!

Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are lovely! I hope that I can keep them growing in this spot for years to come! And I have more seeds, so I may start some more to plant in a few more locations in my garden!

Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome, My pleasure!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suejhadley

Latest Threads