Hope I didn't sacrifice one to save the other.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had a beautiful lily growing in a floating basket. Twice now have had to free Blanche, one of my biggest koi from the basket and I was fearful that she would get stuck in it when I wasn't around. So today, i pulled the lily and potted it up. I hope i haven't killed it but couldn't risk poor Blanche. I guess time will tell.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a beautiful lily growing in a floating basket. Twice now have had to free Blanche, one of my biggest koi from the basket and I was fearful that she would get stuck in it when I wasn't around. So today, i pulled the lily and potted it up. I hope i haven't killed it but couldn't risk poor Blanche. I guess time will tell.
The lily should be fine, you can move them almost any time without hurting them, it may slow down but it will catch up.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The hell with the plants,the fish are the stars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

I had the exact same thing happen, TWICE ! I was using my floating nets for shade ( since we lost two trees ) till the lilies provided enough shade. Obviously, I removed the nets.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
How are the GH and KH levels in your pond?
I am still having issues. Tested last night kh at 5 drops ph at 9. Tested this morning ph at 6.5. I added more baking soda tonight. Gh is still at 0. I tried to find some calcium chloride. I found some clorox brand calcium hardner in the pool chemical section of walmart but it did not have an ingredient list and i was afraid it might have something added. Have i just not gotten the kg up enough yet to prevent the ph swings?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Walmart carries 'In The Swim Calcium Hardness Increaser'. This is pure Calcium Chloride.
A GH level of "0" can be quite dangerous. I would begin raising it ASAP with the goal of the GH and KH being the same level.
Your KH level at 5 drops is OK for now. Focus your attention on raising the GH. Today, if possible.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add 100 lbs of crushed oyster shells, chicken grit, yearly to keep mine raised and stable. Our water is extremely soft. But it does not raise it quickly, dissolves slowly. Our well water is acidic and soft.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Blanche is an ungrateful heifer! Went out this morning to discover a muddy pond thanks to her and her fish friend uprooting my newly potted lillies. I guess i know what my after church plans are. :mad:

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Walmart carries 'In The Swim Calcium Hardness Increaser'. This is pure Calcium Chloride.
A GH level of "0" can be quite dangerous. I would begin raising it ASAP with the goal of the GH and KH being the same level.
Your KH level at 5 drops is OK for now. Focus your attention on raising the GH. Today, if possible.
Our walmart does not have that brand. Tomorrow will be the earliest i can get some. Hopefully walmart or home depot near where i work will have it.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blanche is an ungrateful heifer! Went out this morning to discover a muddy pond thanks to her and her fish friend uprooting my newly potted lillies. I guess i know what my after church plans are. :mad:
That's how my lilys ended up free growing! I have a lotus in a much wider container and had problems with the hogs digging. I solved that problem with broken clay flower pit's embedded jagged edge up all around . That pots been in there for 8 years that way! Short of putting a ring through there nose to stop them from digging, pungie sticks in the pots works great!!

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I add 100 lbs of crushed oyster shells, chicken grit, yearly to keep mine raised and stable. Our water is extremely soft. But it does not raise it quickly, dissolves slowly. Our well water is acidic and soft.
How big is your pond? I bought some and put it in bags in the skimmer and bio filter but maybe I didn't use enough. I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to adding stuff to the water.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
That's how my lilys ended up free growing! I have a lotus in a much wider container and had problems with the hogs digging. I solved that problem with broken clay flower pit's embedded jagged edge up all around . That pots been in there for 8 years that way! Short of putting a ring through there nose to stop them from digging, pungie sticks in the pots works great!!
I am going to try deer fencing over the pot with a small hole cut for the pads to come through.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always worried about the fish wiggling through and getting stuck. To me plants aren't worth keeping if it takes much effort . I wouldn't have the lotus if it weren't a father's day gift the year I built the big pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? I bought some and put it in bags in the skimmer and bio filter but maybe I didn't use enough. I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to adding stuff to the water.

Total water between all the ponds etc, around 10-11k gallons. It dissolves slow and from what I read will not take the hardness way up. I have even put in 200 lbs in the spring with no issues.

Ask a Question